Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying out of hot countries -- is it safe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:27 am
Original Poster

I posted this on Thailand board but I'm not getting any bites, so I thought I would try here.

In the US, most airlines don't allow pets if the temperature is over 29C/84F because the tarmac is hot and the time the animal spends before being loaded into the plane can be dangerous. But I can't find any regulations about this at Bangkok airport, where the outside temperature is almost always over 29C. It appears that many airlines that fly smaller planes at BKK do not allow pets, while airlines flying larger planes do.

KLM has a BKK-AMS flight that leaves at midday (they don't have any other times). They have told me several times that there is no problem taking pets on this flight, even though the outside temperature may be as high as 32C. I understand that the cargo area on the 777 is fully climate controlled, but my concern is about the time the dog spends between being checked in and when the plane takes off.

I have been told by someone who has flown this route with a dog before that they are whisked from the air conditioned terminal onto the plane and it's not a problem. I have no idea how to confirm this, though, and I am incredibly nervous. I know that KLM has an excellent reputation when it comes to transporting pets, but it's the Bangkok ground staff that I am concerned about.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by giblet

KLM has a BKK-AMS flight....

I know this isn't directly answering your questions but: Assuming your animal has to travel (and that's probably the defining question) ... can you think of an alternative that would be any better? No route is risk free, it's a trade off between safety and efficiency and sometimes even with the best of planning things go wrong.

Last edited by tinkicker; Mar 18, 2018 at 5:02 am Reason: edit to reduce length of quote
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:47 am

I think. Airlanes can sugest u somethink to deal with ure problem try to ask them?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I still haven't gotten any answers about this. I've contacted KLM several times and they have told me not to worry, but they cannot tell me what procedures they have in place to make sure pets don't overheat (I'm assuming because this is actually in the airport's purview rather than the airline). I've contacted the airport who told me to contact the airline. I've contacted the cargo department of the airport who have ignored me.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:08 am

Yes, it's absurd, that many air companies do not allow traveling with animals. I have a dog, which I did not buy in a new pet shop I found it on the street.
I cannot leave her even for a short time. We always travel together. But air companies give me a lot of problems. Advise a good airline!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jul 18, 2018 at 5:07 am Reason: Removed possible spam link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.