Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Getting a Sassy corgi to china

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold

Hi everybody,

I am being recruited to do a 6 month contract in China, based in the USA. If I do this, I need to figure out what to do with the dog. Has anyone taken their pet with them from the USA to China, and how did they do it, and how were they treated? Also, in non large town China are there any infrastructure for pets, like being able to get dog food / walkers / go outside without getting into gross stuff? I am thinking it might be a better idea to have the grandparents take care of the doggy during this trip. What are your thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:01 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
If your assignment is only for 6 months I would recommend leaving your pup with the grandparents.

I would recommend professional pet shipping companies. They will give you a schedule of what needs to be done with your vet and help you with the paperwork.

All dogs have to be quarantined for at least 30-days. You are allowed daily visits (M-F) but the time you can spend there and the hours vary and are limited. The quarantine area is your typical basic kennel and the vet-in-charge is usually quite professional. The concern is with the kennel attendants which can vary greatly. A friend's Yorkshire terrier was quite mentally scarred coming out of quarantine in the Beijing area back in 2006....

As for dog food, the usual Purina brands are easily available at larger local supermarkets and expat supermarkets. Specialty brands are harder to find depending on the city. Being imports, these foods are usually closer to the expiry date.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Do you really want to deal with a quarantine situation in China? As long as your grandparents are able and willing I would choose that option.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
thanks everyone, I think we're going to leave her with my parents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.