Wiki Posts
Search

Cat Scanning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Cat Scanning

I've never seen this before, but on a trip back from BLQ recently a gentleman had his cat in a cage and brought it onboard as cabin luggage. We went through security at the same time, and he had to take the cat out of the cage, and walk through the scanner with said feline draped around his neck with no lead or harness.

I was a little curious as to this procedure , as some cats may have taken the opportunity to make a bid for freedom, possibly airside. This particular cat was as good as gold in this case, but is this standard practice?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have seen exactly that procedure at FRA.

The cat was good as gold and was calmly draped around her neck. A beautiful black cat. I asked the owner if I could say hello to him and give him a pat and she kindly obliged and I got my little cat fix. She was taking him back to the US. She told me she brought the cat over from the US with her when her job relocated her.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I think that's been the policy for ages. I last flew with a feline (Chicago to Dallas) some 15+ years ago and had to do the same thing, though that the time a collar/leash was permitted.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:23 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Yes. I had to do this when traveling with my cats. I put harnesses on them and leashes so that they could not do a runner.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:10 pm

I have one cat that would be gone in a second. He hates strangers and there's no way in the world that he wouldn't be willing to take on Homeland Security to get to a hidden space ASAP! We've tried kitty harnesses from Petco (2 or 3 different ones) and he somehow gets out of them immediately. He is such a sweet kitty to us, but he is terrified of everyone else.

I genuinely don't understand why they can't go through security in their carriers. Maybe they could just require them to be in a box carrier instead of the ones with metal?

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Apr 24, 2017 at 6:45 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
I genuinely don't understand why they can't go through security in their carriers.
They can. You just need to be specific to security that you want a private screening for the pet in an enclosed room.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:07 pm

^^ That's what I did. Mine were in their carriers and wearing harnesses but I just wanted to be safe. I had no idea how they were going to react. Took them to the private room and they behaved fantastically. My luggage and I went through totally like normal and then I took the cats in their carriers and we walked over so they could be checked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.