Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Connecting in LHR (LAX to AMS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat

Thank you in advance for your advice!

My friend just got a great job offer in Amsterdam and as her going away gift I¨d like to gift her a one-way ticket. I have the option of 30000 United miles (UA: LAX-either Newark or DC?-AMS) with 6$ fee or 20000 AA miles (AA LAX-LHR, BA LHR-AMS) with $90 fee. She will handle all necessary pre-reqs for the pet of course like shots and chip and so on. I am in a bit of a pickle deciding which way to go. As a PLAT, I have plenty of miles but I value the AA miles very much as my status would allow me to enjoy those thoroughly (seats, priority, etc). I only have 30100 miles on UA and no status. Suppose I go the AA route, ideally I would choose the US connecting through CLT (i believe) if it was available with milesaaver, but alas, it is not. If she connects in LHR, what does that process look like? I have searched far and wide for the answer but things got muddy over time. Can they check the pet through directly or does she have to pick it up and check it back in at the appropriate terminal? How long of a connection would be sufficient? If it is too long, I might go with the UA option. If i go UA, I imagine the pet will go straight through via a USA connection, right? Lastly, she has a shorter dog, but it´s at about 20 lbs. Can she get away with it in cabin?

Thank you for your wisdom!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:51 am

I don't think pets are accepted to the UK on AA or US. Might want to persue the UA option with their PetSafe program.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
I don't think pets are accepted to the UK on AA or US. Might want to persue the UA option with their PetSafe program.
that is correct. AA does not accept pets on flights to the UK.

US does have service to AMS via PHL, but they generally do not accept pets at all except small in-cabin pets on North/Central American flights. Hopefully that changes soon as the merger progresses!

At 20 lbs plus the carrier, the dog needs to go into the hold at any airline except Alitalia provided he/she fits into the regulation size carrier (they officially allow 10 kgs in-cabin and are lax enforcing that on top).

The only way to get to AMS with a pet on AA miles would be by routing through MAD and connect on IB or, and this is what I would do, travel to DUS on AA or AB (AB has a nonstop LAX-DUS: nice in business, cramped in economy if you can't get exit row seats) and continue the journey by train - DUS to Amsterdam by train takes two hours and 20 minutes and costs 60 Euros total for one adult and the pet.

PetSafe is pretty expensive - they charge $559 if combined animal+kennel weight is 50 pounds or less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.