Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

ABC News: New Bill would allow Pets to travel on Amtrak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/bill-pe...ry?id=19241723

If a bill that was introduced in Congress this week is passed, Amtrak will be required to allow pets onboard some of its trains.

The bill, introduced by Jeff Denham, R-Calif., states that Amtrak will designate one car of each train where passengers may transport "a domesticated cat or dog in the same manner as carry-on baggage" if the animal can be contained in a pet kennel and the kennel can be stowed in accordance with Amtrak size requirements for carry-on baggage.

"My dog, Lily, is part of our family and travels with us to and from California all the time. If I can take her on a plane, why can't I travel with her on Amtrak, too?" said Denham. "Allowing families to bring their animals with them will facilitate transportation and efficiency while also providing a much-needed source of revenue for Amtrak."
Jeff, I really don't think allowing pets would will help Amtrak's Revenue problems that much.

With that being said I don't there should be legislation mandating this. It should be up to the companies to make the choice.

No I wouldn't take my pet on Amtrak (then again the family dog cage wouldn't even come close to meeting the requirements.)
Old May 24, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I guess I'm surprised that pets can't be brought now. What's the reason for this? I'd feel a lot better bringing a pet on a train rather than the cargo hold of a plane.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
I guess I'm surprised that pets can't be brought now. What's the reason for this? I'd feel a lot better bringing a pet on a train rather than the cargo hold of a plane.
Many years ago pets could be brought onboard an Amtrak train if the (human) passenger had a sleeping compartment and the pet stayed in the compartment. I think Amtrak got tired of cleaning up messes.
Old May 24, 2013, 6:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Let's move this over to the Traveling with Pets forum.

--------
essxjay, the OMNIs co-mod
Old May 24, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Pets on Amtrak should be treated just like pets on a plane, in the cargo hold.
Amtrak's long-haul trains have a separate car for checked baggage. But, since many smaller stations don't handle checked baggage, only those passengers who are BOTH embarking from AND disembarking at stations that handle baggage can check items.

For everyone else, large items of luggage are carried onboard the train and stowed in an unsecured compartment on the lower level. It would be very difficult to impossible to bring a large item of luggage or kennel up the little winding staircase that leads to the upper level. Small pieces (similar to airline carry-ons) can be stowed on a rack above one's seat.

But animals on trains? Bad idea. On Amtrak's Southwest Chief (the route with which I am most familiar) opportunities for passengers to leave the train (usually to smoke) and presumably permit their pets to answer the call of nature may be few and far between. You're looking at 5 hours between Albuquerque and Flagstaff with only two very brief stops en route. Longer if it's snowing (which happens quite a bit around Flagstaff). Either the animal or all of the other passengers is going to suffer.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably a topic best suited for the Amtrak forum, but as kale73 mentions, there are a dozen logistical/operational issues under the current proposal that would make implementing this a total fuster cluck.

But if Congress wants to run the business, I guess they can also write the check?

I would also propose that the Representative participate in the test phase of this program. His dog, Lily, can be checked in the unheated baggage car for a 750-mile winter test run on one of the 4 long-distance trains that serve his fair state. ^
Old May 26, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
Amtrak's long-haul trains have a separate car for checked baggage. But, since many smaller stations don't handle checked baggage, only those passengers who are BOTH embarking from AND disembarking at stations that handle baggage can check items.

For everyone else, large items of luggage are carried onboard the train and stowed in an unsecured compartment on the lower level. It would be very difficult to impossible to bring a large item of luggage or kennel up the little winding staircase that leads to the upper level. Small pieces (similar to airline carry-ons) can be stowed on a rack above one's seat.

But animals on trains? Bad idea. On Amtrak's Southwest Chief (the route with which I am most familiar) opportunities for passengers to leave the train (usually to smoke) and presumably permit their pets to answer the call of nature may be few and far between. You're looking at 5 hours between Albuquerque and Flagstaff with only two very brief stops en route. Longer if it's snowing (which happens quite a bit around Flagstaff). Either the animal or all of the other passengers is going to suffer.
Not every trip on Amtrak is long haul. We live near Philadelphia and often take train trips to DC or NYC. Our cats are perfectly capable of going that long between litter box breaks - they've gone cross country and Florida to Canada with us and been fine with up to 8 hours between stops.

We as a family would definitely use Amtrak more often if allowed to bring a carry-on cat.

Actually, where I'd most like to see pets allowed is the auto train Virginia to Florida. I ended up driving that trip because we couldn't take the cats on the auto train. Experienced pet owners can easily handle pet waste issues while away from home.
Old May 28, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Hi folks,
Let me remind everyone of a major rule for the Travel with Pets forum:

Please don't post here if you have a problem with pets in the cabin, staying at your place of lodging or just don't like animals in general. Your thread will be considered off topic and disruptive and it will be deleted. FT's rules and guidelines for posting will be enforced in this forum. If you violate the TOS, you may be sent to "THE DOG HOUSE"!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Not every trip on Amtrak is long haul.
The bill would restrict passengers traveling with pets to trips fewer than 750 miles. It would require passengers to pay a fee.
I like the idea in principle but in practice I know that there are some people who would abuse the freedom. Somewhat like dog parks--some work well but some are used by people whose animals aren't even tame much less trained. Then it becomes a mess.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by China Clipper
I like the idea in principle but in practice I know that there are some people who would abuse the freedom. Somewhat like dog parks--some work well but some are used by people whose animals aren't even tame much less trained. Then it becomes a mess.
In some ways you can compare a dog park to FT. Some of our members abide by the rules and contribute and there are others that pardon the pun land up in the moderator's "Dog House".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.