Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Weird travel with cats rule on BG airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

I want to travel from Sofia Bulgaria to Larnaca Cyprus at Christmas. Can't fly on Cyprus Aiways because they have blackout dates for travel with pets over Christmas - Ok. So I book with Bulgarian airlines. First they tell me I can take my 2 cats (each weighs 3 kg) with me in the cabin. Then they call me back and say that I can't take them both in the cabin, I can only take one in the cabin. But if a friend is flying with me, that person can take the second cat. I ask if I can put both cats in one carrier since they will meet the less than 7kg limt. BG airlines says no. They say I can only take 1 cat in the cabin and put the other in the hold. I ask if I can put them both in the hold (so that they can keep each other company). BG Airlines says no. I ask if I can pay extra to take them both in the cabin. Again, no. I ask to talk to a supervisor. No. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. It's not an issue of number of cats in the hold or in the cabin, it is an issue of number of cats per person. Good thing I don't have 3 cats right now.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:57 am

I think the "one pet per carrier" rule is pretty common, altho I know at least one airline allows you to put two kittens under 6 months of age in one carrier.

Also, I don't think the cats would be very comfortable stuffed in one carrier, even if they are small. When it moves and tips, they'd slide into each other and I know that would make my two very upset.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I traveled with both cats in a single carrier from Cyprus to Bulgaria on Cyprus Airways. The carrier was big enough for both cats. The cats were happy to be together.

I'm not so concerned/ annoyed about the one cat per carrier thing as I am with the one cat per person (per carrier) per location (cabin/cargo hold).
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Update: yesterday I got a call from BG airlines asking me if I could put my 2 cats in a single carrier because they now have a dog in the hold (apparently dogs trump cats or someone messed up). So this is exactly what I wanted to do in the first place but they told me it was not allowed (even after I asked to talk to a supervisor and offered to pay extra). Typical nonsensical Bulgaria rules. Arghhhh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.