Return of Eastern Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return of Eastern Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, obviously not. They don't allows to buy Onepass at all.
Sorry - a lame attempt at humor on my part. I was alluding to Eastern's founding of the Onepass program. Continental assumed it when Frank Lorenzo merged Eastern in to Texas Air. Regards.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Actually one part of Eastern still lives. When Lorenzo took over EA, he pulled the res system (System One Direct Access (SODA)) out of EA, pulled Continental Computer Services (CCS) out of CO, and formed a subsidiary called System One Corp. That entity, much changed, lives on as aMaDEUS North America.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:27 pm

...... That entity, much changed, lives on as aMaDEUS North America.
Unfortunately, so does Frank Lorenzo.......
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by N231LA
Unfortunately, so does Frank Lorenzo.......
Lorenzo was a piece of work, no? To 'pay' EA and CO for the assets that were merged into the new System One entity (probably around late 1986, he issued a promissory note (don't remember the amount), due in 2012. I'm sure that he knew that EA would never survive long enough to receive that payment.

(A few years after Lorenzo was out of the picture, System One was made a wholly-owned subsidiary of Continental Airlines, just in time for CO's 1994 Chapter 11 filing, one of the results of which was that the 1986 notes became moot).
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:22 pm

I hope Eastern never comes back. I had by far my worst experience with an airline on Eastern ever (even counting US) and was never so happy to see a company go under. I'm sure there were some good employees. I just happened not to have interacted with them.

My parents and I (I was about 15) were traveling to my grandfather's funeral from New York (don't remember if it was EWR, JFK or LGA) to FLL on a bereavement fare. Eastern changed equipment to a much smaller plane and bumped us. The GA refused to even ask for volunteers to allow us to get to the funeral on time. We had to fly the day of the funeral due to the fact that my parents were vacationing out of the country at the time and, in the Jewish faith, the funeral should take place the day after the death, except on the Sabbath.

The Delta flight on which we were placed, was arriving into FLL only 3 hours later. However, I have no doubt that there would have been 3 people on that plane who would have given up their seats so we could get to a funeral. Even though it was only 3 hour delay, it required my grandmother to reschedule the funeral from Sunday to Monday so my grandfather's son and granddaughter could attend. Many other people were forced to miss the funeral due to work schedules.

I remember standing at the podium with my parents and my father begging the GA to do something. I will always remember the guy's response as if it was yesterday: "If you don't hurry up, you'll miss that (Delta) flight, too." He was a miserable excuse for a human being.

On the other hand, the Delta FAs were wonderful. Delta had not stocked enough meals for all the bumpees and the FA asked for volunteers to give up their meals for us and practically the entire plane offered up their food.

The compensation we received was to have the return flight on Eastern in First Class. Wow. Good riddance, Eastern.

Last edited by jennj99738; Mar 11, 2009 at 3:40 pm
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Lorenzo was a piece of work, no? To 'pay' EA and CO for the assets that were merged into the new System One entity (probably around late 1986, he issued a promissory note (don't remember the amount), due in 2012. I'm sure that he knew that EA would never survive long enough to receive that payment.

(A few years after Lorenzo was out of the picture, System One was made a wholly-owned subsidiary of Continental Airlines, just in time for CO's 1994 Chapter 11 filing, one of the results of which was that the 1986 notes became moot).
Lorenzo=scum bag.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Why not? More competition couldn't hurt.

Admittedly, my last flight on Eastern was so long ago that I found seats in Y to be quite roomy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.