Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chunnel Fire

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Chunnel Fire

Travel chaos as Chunnel blaze leaves thousands stranded

Shortly before 4 p.m. GMT, 7 miles from the French side. Reports are 14 injured, 32 escaped through a service tunnel. Fire was on a train transporting trucks, the truckers were on board and were the escapees and victims.

“The fire appears to be accidental. It started in a truck brake system that overheated and spread to a tyre and then to two other trucks.”

The Tribune cites the French Interior Ministry, which said that “the fire started on a truck carrying phenol, a toxic, flammable product used in various industries.”
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I'm surprised not to see more about this on FT...

All service is cancelled today, and possibly this weekend according to the AP. Service may resume next week with trains in both directions sharing one tunnel.

Methinks that freight will be given priority, severely disrupting the Eurostar for the next few weeks.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I believe Eurostar services will not return to normal until early next year. The last serious fire in 1996 closed the tunnel completely for 6 months, disrupting my travel plans, and this latest fire is very serious. This is bad news for me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.