Wiki Posts
Search

Middle Seat: (Overhead) Space Race

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Middle Seat: (Overhead) Space Race

As American, United and US Airways prepare to start collecting fees on every piece of checked luggage, including $30 round trip to check one bag and an additional $50 round trip to check a second, they are also getting ready to strictly enforce limits on carry-on baggage — which are commonly flouted — in hopes of minimizing delays and disruption as flights board. Battles with customers likely will ensue, and fliers will be peppered with baggage-rule announcements, adding more aggravation to the already trying travel experience.
http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...3860&GT1=41000

Gee... doyathink?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I was saddened to read this as part of the article:
All three airlines say it's possible that metal templates — which prevent larger bags from making it through X-ray machines — will be reintroduced. That's a tactic that angered many customers in the past and was eliminated when the Transportation Security Administration took control of screening after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"It's something we've looked at in the past and may look at again," says Mark Dupont, American's senior vice president of airport services planning.

United is in favor of bringing back templates, says Senior Vice President Scott Dolan, and US Airways Group Inc. President Scott Kirby says a return of baggage templates is "likely" at some airports. While security checkpoints are controlled by the TSA, airlines can pressure the federal agency to allow templates if a checkpoint serves a single airline, or several airlines with the same policy on templates.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:57 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by xyzzy
All three airlines say it's possible that metal templates — which prevent larger bags from making it through X-ray machines — will be reintroduced. That's a tactic that angered many customers in the past and was eliminated when the Transportation Security Administration took control of screening after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

"It's something we've looked at in the past and may look at again," says Mark Dupont, American's senior vice president of airport services planning.

United is in favor of bringing back templates, says Senior Vice President Scott Dolan, and US Airways Group Inc. President Scott Kirby says a return of baggage templates is "likely" at some airports. While security checkpoints are controlled by the TSA, airlines can pressure the federal agency to allow templates if a checkpoint serves a single airline, or several airlines with the same policy on templates.
i agree as well but at least the sizing template gives you more room than the stupid-a$$ luggage sizing box that you must place your carry-on in to see if it will fit
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I don't see a problem with templates. The end result is simply the relocation from the aircraft aisle to the TSA checkpoint of the carry-on confrontations. At least there will be LEOs nearby to deal with the pax who throw fits instead of some jerk on board who delays the flight.

The people who are going to be against this policy for reasons other than delays at the checkpoint are the ones who have been flouting--more like "allowed to flout--the carry-on baggage policies in the past.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If one's bag is too wide to fit through because it is overstuffed (what I suspect is a common reason for not fitting), why not just dump the overage into a try and send that through separately?

Seems easy enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.