Wiki Posts
Search

Stranded and Abandoned

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Stranded and Abandoned

From the WSJ (Included in article is a nice summary of food-voucher policies and hotels used by the major airlines in several cities):

Canceled Flight? Your Inn Trouble
THE MIDDLE SEAT
By SCOTT MCCARTNEY
April 15, 2008; Page D1

You get bumped from a flight. You get stranded somewhere because your captain called in sick. You're one of the 300,000 or so people whose flights were canceled last week because the FAA grounded airplanes.

And you get what from the airline?

Not enough, travelers gripe. Airlines are contractually obliged to provide food, housing and transportation for passengers left stranded by airline problems, but many passengers complain they have to fight or beg to get accommodations, and have a hard time eating lunch at an airport on a $5 food voucher.

"What they give you is a joke," said Wendy Becker of Boston, who was left stranded in Charlotte, N.C., by US Airways in February because she missed her connection due to a mechanical breakdown.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver Elite, HiltonHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador
And if they can blame the delay/cancellation on 'weather' you're on your own.

"My... look at that... we got weather outside!!!!"
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
She used a $5 food voucher for a bottle of water at the airport -- her only "meal" of the trip.
Not sure if this was taken out of context when written, but c'mon, fork over some of your own money if you're hungry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.