High gas prices aid prop-plane comeback

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High gas prices aid prop-plane comeback

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

I imagine you're referring to the SAAB Fairchilds run by one of the AA regionals out of LAX and vicinity which has frequent weight restrictions?
SAAB and Fairchild are two completely different companies.

SAAB makes the 340 and the 2000 t'prop where as Fairchild use to make the Metroliner and then bought Dornier that made the Do-328. The SAAB 2000 is supposed to be one of the best t'props on the marker even though it came in very late in the game

SAAB=Sweedes aren't aircraft builders. or Send Another Aircraft for Bags
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by timstravel
But when the weather is bad, be it ice or T-storms, I'd rather take the jet any day.
I prefer a jet regardless of the weather and I have many thousands of hours piloting them both.

I imagine you're referring to the SAAB Fairchilds run by one of the AA regionals out of LAX and vicinity which has frequent weight restrictions?
The Saab 340 was designed and built when the average passenger weights used by US airlines was about 20 pounds lighter than what is used today. The higher average weight figures means that you can no longer fill the (34) seats, with the accompanying bags, with a reasonable amount of fuel. Lots of the smaller airliners have been affected by this change. The ERJ-145 was also hit hard but they came up with a relatively simply modification that allows an increase in the max structural weight which largely eliminates the problem.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The article suggests that the only current manufacturer of commercial turboprops is Bombardier. I thought the Embraer EMB-120 was still in production. Does anybody know for sure? Or could this just be another case of ill-informed reporting?
No, it mentions Bombardier and ATA specifically.

I think this is long overdue. I've always tried to be careful about my own carbon foot-print, and I was pleased to find a website that showed that as someone who does not own a car, my carbon usage from commuting is 10% that of a car owner (actually, even less, since I usually just walk or bike all the way to work). But then I learned that a single long haul jet trip can contribute as much as a full year of commuting by automobile! I've been doing more an more of my discretionary travel by rail and ship, but expanding the network of places served by turboprop would give us another means to cut down.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:35 am

I think you could offend SAAB by confusing them with a Metroliner. At least SAAB doesn't need water methanol

And nope I'm not referring to AA regionals. I've no idea about those.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Ah, takes me back to the really, really old days of flights in Fokker Friendships, on East West Airlines, 'bringing people together'.

That may have been almost thirty years ago. It was very exciting, my first flight.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jwillett13
...SAAB=Sweedes aren't aircraft builders. or Send Another Aircraft for Bags
Slightly off-topic and not about aircraft, but I've always enjoyed "Still Ain't A BMW."
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jwillett13
SAAB and Fairchild are two completely different companies.

SAAB makes the 340 and the 2000 t'prop where as Fairchild use to make the Metroliner and then bought Dornier that made the Do-328. The SAAB 2000 is supposed to be one of the best t'props on the marker even though it came in very late in the game
They may be separate but SAAB and Fairchild did make the 340 together (at least initially).

SAAB=Sweedes aren't aircraft builders. or Send Another Aircraft for Bags
Svenska Aeroplan Aktiebolaget, the company that brought you the Viggen and Draken?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
Slightly off-topic and not about aircraft, but I've always enjoyed "Still Ain't A BMW."
More off topic but SAAB and BMW both had aircraft in their origins. The Bf109 being the most famous BMW (then BFW) products.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Ah, takes me back to the really, really old days of flights in Fokker Friendships, on East West Airlines, 'bringing people together'.

That may have been almost thirty years ago. It was very exciting, my first flight.
Ahhh, the 1980s, flying aboard East West Airlines turboprops on a cheap fare that required a stop and sometimes a plane change in either Tamworth or Albury (one of the two -- my memory is weakened with age) to get from Sydney to Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.