Wall St. Journal: Boeing's Layers of Outsourcing Slow 787 Production

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.

From The Wall Street Journal:

JET BLUES
Boeing Scrambles to Repair Problems With New Plane
Layers of Outsourcing Slow 787 Production; 'Hostage to Suppliers'
By J. LYNN LUNSFORD
December 7, 2007; Page A1

EVERETT, Wash. -- On Tuesday, Boeing Co. will give Wall Street a progress report on its 787 Dreamliner, as it scrambles to overcome a six-month delay in producing the new jet. A look inside the project reveals that the mess stems from one of its main selling points to investors -- global outsourcing.

When the Chicago aerospace giant set out four years ago to build the fuel-sipping jet, it figured the chief risk lay in perfecting a process to build much of the plane from carbon-fiber plastic instead of aluminum. Boeing focused so hard on getting the science right that it didn't grasp the significance of another big change: The 787 is the first jet in Boeing's 91-year history designed largely by other companies.

To lower the $10 billion or so it would cost to develop the plane solo, Boeing authorized a team of parts suppliers to design and build major sections of the craft, which it planned to snap together at its Seattle-area factory. But outsourcing so much responsibility has turned out to be far more difficult than anticipated.

Balance of article is here, but may require subscription.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to be an early passenger on an aircraft that came (unexpectedly) to Boeing in 30,000 pieces, some with installation instructions only in Italian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.