Reload this Page >

Man flies 193 miles in lawn chair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man flies 193 miles in lawn chair

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:16 am

QUOTE=GPSFlyer Awesome, the best part is he used a small caliber gun to shoot the ballons out when he wanted to land.

Sorry to .. umm.. pop your balloon - - the TV interviews made it pretty clear he just poked 'em one-at-a-time with with some pointy thingy.

?? CNN dresses up a story ?? Noooooooooo !!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:00 pm

MythBusters did two tests: one was with weather balloons, and one with party balloons.

The weather balloon one was confirmed; they did get Adam airborne (albeit tethered) in a lawn chair. For safety, they reinforced the chair.

The party balloon story was the sitcom staple of a balloon vendor's bundle carrying away a small child. (They used a clip from Mr. Bean to illustrate it.) This was busted. It took 3500 balloons to get a 44lbs. child off the ground.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:12 pm

And by the way, although a few previous lawn-chair flyers have been busted by the FAA, it looks like their crimes were flying through controlled airspace (LA and Boston respectively) without talking to ATC. Since this one was done in a rural area, it was probably legal.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
He must be on the Do Not Fly list.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Next Press Release from Oneworld/SkyTeam/Star Alliance
"LawnChair Air to partner with all alliances with a single class service..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.