First Pics of the 787

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Pics of the 787

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Yeah, doesn't look too special... And it certainly doesn't look anything like the images we saw a few years ago of what it was going to be...
I would call a plane "special" when it can get me from LA to London in 3 hours, using the same or less fuel than is currently used.

From a "getting me there faster" point of view, what real advances have there actually been in the last 15 years? If we could all get where we wanted to be 3 times quicker, the airlines wouldn't have to spend so much effort providing all that expensive "first class" service etc ...
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:55 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Good point. Nothing will be "special" until they make another Concorde (if it ever happens).

The alternative would be returning the existing frames to flight and commercial service which seems near to impossible.

We may see one of them flying again at air shows but that's about it.

Originally Posted by limeyx
I would call a plane "special" when it can get me from LA to London in 3 hours, using the same or less fuel than is currently used.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:09 am

There were some experiments around 2000 by NASA related to a potential new supersonic jet, but they concluded that it would still cost too much. Japan is conducting some research, but the earliest new jet would be in the 2020s.

Boeing looked the Sonic Cruiser, a near-sonic jet, but also concluded it would cost too much for the modest speed increase.

Fuel isn't getting any cheaper, and Concorde burned as much as a 747 but only carried 100 passengers and no cargo.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
Yeah, doesn't look too special...
Blasphemer!

Am I remembering wrong, or was the vertical stabilizer supposed to be sculpted, like a shark's fin?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by alanh
There were some experiments around 2000 by NASA related to a potential new supersonic jet, but they concluded that it would still cost too much. Japan is conducting some research, but the earliest new jet would be in the 2020s.

Boeing looked the Sonic Cruiser, a near-sonic jet, but also concluded it would cost too much for the modest speed increase.

Fuel isn't getting any cheaper, and Concorde burned as much as a 747 but only carried 100 passengers and no cargo.

Good points. Maybe they can make an SST that runs on all the old congealed McDonalds fat from the airport terminals

I would think there would be a demand for saving significant time on longhaul routes, but obviously the investment is huge and for now, people put up with 12-18 hour flights ...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Blasphemer!

Am I remembering wrong, or was the vertical stabilizer supposed to be sculpted, like a shark's fin?
Was supposed to, but the designers found out there was too much drag in wind tunnel tests, hence the tail is more like a 777's.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Yes, here's the original design. The final design looks a lot more conventional.

A supersonic trans-Pacific flight would have had appeal, but Concorde just didn't have the range due to its high fuel consumption. I'm not sure what the range on the Tu-144 (the Soviet Union's "Concordski") was, but I don't think it was much more. Its brief service was between Almaty and Moscow.

The problem has really been an economic one, rather than a technical one. Simply due to the energy involved in traveling supersonically, I'm not sure if the fuel consumption can be cut to a point where it's economical.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by alanh
Still at it
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technolog...414574880.html

The trouble is that you need to get the engine to quite a speed for the engine to supersonically compress air (instead of having a turbine do it). To get an engine that transitions efficiently from sub-sonic speeds to transsonic, supersonic then hypersonic (> Mach 5) is the devilish problem.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 8:22 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Still at it

The trouble is that you need to get the engine to quite a speed for the engine to supersonically compress air (instead of having a turbine do it). To get an engine that transitions efficiently from sub-sonic speeds to transsonic, supersonic then hypersonic (> Mach 5) is the devilish problem and then ludicrous speed.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Still at it

The trouble is that you need to get the engine to quite a speed for the engine to supersonically compress air (instead of having a turbine do it). To get an engine that transitions efficiently from sub-sonic speeds to transsonic, supersonic then hypersonic (> Mach 5) is the devilish problem.
Well now that's pretty cool! (The ScramJet, that is.) I've always wondered, though, what the average human thinks/feels about leaving and entering Earth's atmosphere. Do all the risks associated with doing such things outweigh the benefits of flying from London to Sydney in 2 hrs? What about issues with satellites orbiting the earth? Could they potentially drift out of orbit and cause problems for the new flight paths?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by vt2k
Well now that's pretty cool! (The ScramJet, that is.) What about issues with satellites orbiting the earth? Could they potentially drift out of orbit and cause problems for the new flight paths?

Satellites are at an altitude several magnitudes greater than what a sub-orbital high speed aircraft would travel at.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Don't forget that the new 787 will be unveiled Sunday in Everett.

The event will be hosted by Tom Brokaw.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
What time is the unveiling? Will it be on TV? This kind of thing may actually get me to turn on the TV!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xyzzy
What time is the unveiling? Will it be on TV? This kind of thing may actually get me to turn on the TV!
No need to turn on the TV (but you can if you want).

SEATTLE, June 28, 2007 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] will broadcast the Premiere of its newest technologically advanced passenger jet - the 787 Dreamliner - to viewers around the world.

The 787 Premiere will be carried live and in nine different languages on Sunday, July 8, at 3:30 p.m. PDT or 10:30 p.m. GMT via satellite and Webcast. To view the Webcast, viewers may log on to www.boeing.com or www.newairplane.com.

Boeing will broadcast the Premiere to more than 45 countries using 35 satellite TV networks. Satellite television subscribers may tune in the following channels, depending on their satellite service provider: Specific channel or frequency information can be found on the Premiere Web site.

U.S. and Canada
DIRECTV satellite 4S/8, Channel 576
Dish Network satellite EchoStar #8, Channel 9601
IntelSat Galaxy 11 K15 Analog
IntelSat Galaxy 11 K20 Digital

Mexico and South America
Satmex 5 K19, Digital 9Mhz
IntelSat Galaxy 11, K20 Digital

Europe and the Middle East
Eutelsat, W2 Digital
Eutelsat Atlantic Bird, AB1F5BE Digital

Asia
AsiaSat Direct-to-Home (DTH) Service
AsiaSat 2 XP 2B, Channel 3 and 4, Digital

South Pacific
Optus, B3 Digital (Eastern Australia and New Zealand)
Intelsat 12 (Western Australia)

The 787 Premiere will be broadcast in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish.

Leading up to the 787 Premiere, Boeing will debut a special series of videos to celebrate its 7-Series family of airplanes - the Boeing 707, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777 and 787. The videos, along with fact sheets on each airplane, are historical perspectives of the 7-Series of commercial airplanes, showcasing the wonder and glamour of flight since the 707's debut in 1958.

Matching airplane model numbers to the dates, Boeing will launch one video per day leading up to the 787 rollout - beginning June 30 with the 707 and continuing through July 8 with the 787. The videos will be available on the 787 Premiere Web site, which can be accessed via Boeing's Internet home page at www.boeing.com.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Who cares what it looks like outside? I'm more concerned about the interior!
I'm with you on that - I hope NW does some kind of really classy red & grey color scheme inside their new birds. From what I've seen in the Boeing videos, the inside should be quite open and "feel" bigger than it is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.