Southwest reaching for Wi-Fi in sky

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion

http://origin.denverpost.com/business/ci_5708425

Southwest Airlines is exploring how to put Wi-Fi Internet service on its airplanes, as the no-frills carrier seeks to add some frills.
Southwest plans to outfit a few planes with in-cabin wireless Internet service that would "allow for e-mail, of course, but also potentially provide entertainment services," chief executive Gary Kelly said during a conference call Thursday.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sobore
...Southwest plans to outfit a few planes with in-cabin wireless Internet service that would "allow for e-mail, of course, but also potentially provide entertainment services...
...and VoIP. Here we go again!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by sobore
http://origin.denverpost.com/business/ci_5708425

Southwest Airlines is exploring how to put Wi-Fi Internet service on its airplanes, as the no-frills carrier seeks to add some frills.
Southwest plans to outfit a few planes with in-cabin wireless Internet service that would "allow for e-mail, of course, but also potentially provide entertainment services," chief executive Gary Kelly said during a conference call Thursday.
Interesting.

Since the FCC has banned the use of mobile phones on planes, if there is a good WiFi connection all you need is a good VoIP setup on a laptop if you want to place or receive telephone calls.

I know a lot of people weren't too keen on the use of people using mobile's on aircraft, but I would think the # of people using a VoIP softphone would be much lower. Would make for a really cheap way to place and receive telephone calls in the air though!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:02 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I would think that the latency would be too high for a real-time voice conversation.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I would think that the latency would be too high for a real-time voice conversation.
It could very well be the case depending on the connection between the ground and the aircraft. It'll probably be best suited for email, surfing the web, and use of text 'chat' applications.

Will be interesting to see when it is rolled out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.