Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Airlines cramming more seats into Boeing's Dreamliner

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...er-seats_x.htm
Posted 2/21/2006 10:24 AM Updated 2/21/2006 10:51 AM
Airlines cramming more seats into Boeing's Dreamliner

SINGAPORE (Reuters) — Airlines are choosing to cram more seats into Boeing's hot-selling new 787 Dreamliner than the company expected, giving the plane a potentially decisive advantage over its Airbus rival.

Senior Boeing sales executive Randy Baseler said typical seating in the 787-9 version of the aircraft would rise to about 280 from 259 if airlines switched to having nine seats per row in economy class rather than eight as Boeing had expected.

Two-thirds of 787 buyers have decided to fit nine seats in each row in economy, executives from the Chicago-based manufacturer said at the Singapore air show on Tuesday.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
That's about right.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

I hope purchasers of the Airbus products are less-willing to stuff too many seats into not enough space.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Boeing starts with a B too

"When we initially started to bring the 787 to the market we felt the market would be for eight abreast and more comfort" than earlier planes, Boeing's sales manager for the project, Marty Bentrott, told reporters.

"But 65% of our customers are going for nine abreast, and we think that (ratio) will probably go up."

I know it is not FT PC to call people names, but can I say this about 65% of Boeings customers: You B*st*rds.

Dear Boeing:

That money in your pocket does not come from the airlines, your customers. It only goes throught their bank account. It comes from their customers, people like me, the airline passengers. Who will pay for a wider seat. (I'm talking that extra 7.5% you are claiming to save. Don't give me the Just Pay 500% more and buy a FC tic.) How do you know? You don't, because I do not have the opportunity to patronize an airline with a one inch wider seat. The corporate CEO and Beancounters, with their million dollar golden parachutes and pension plans, will buy the nine seating and say "look, people are flying it, so they must love it." No, it just happens that we must travel and you are one of the airlines going there.

Enough ranting, I'm going off to buy a lottery ticket. If I win $500 million, I'll buy a small airline just for the fun of being able to fire all the top mismanagement. After I make them fly every day for six months in the center seat of a 9 across till they claim it's "cruel and unusual punishment"
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Another example of how out of touch airlines are with their customers. Yeah, let's continue to cram us in like sardines in a tin can.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by dw8146
Another example of how out of touch airlines are with their customers. Yeah, let's continue to cram us in like sardines in a tin can.

Or the frequent fliers are out of touch with just how much the no-status passengers are willing to put up with. Only time will tell.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they can make the newly named B787 NightmareLiner(tm) a single aisle aircraft with 5 and 5 seating. Then think of all the $$$ they will coin.

MisterNice
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Maybe they can make the newly named B787 NightmareLiner(tm) a single aisle aircraft with 5 and 5 seating. Then think of all the $$$ they will coin.

MisterNice
Don't forget the jump seats that flip out to fill that aisle space and make it seating for 11 across
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:23 am

Programs: Qantas FF, Air NZ, Singapore
Stop giving the bloody accountants more ideas!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is not good news.

Wait until we get "standing room only", with a belt or two strapping passengers to a vertical board.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:28 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Same news, different plane

If I recall, when the brand spankin new 767's, 777's, A330's and A340's were in the final stages of production, this same issue was decried.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 4:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
If I recall, when the brand spankin new 767's, 777's, A330's and A340's were in the final stages of production, this same issue was decried.
I bet, these airlines wish there would be no FAA with their evacuation/emergency rules. otherwise, we would get ryanair/easyjet rowdistance and 10 in a row.

we have to be in fact thankful for these regulations!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I see a lot of not too smart people alk about how great EK is, and they are notorious for jamming an extra seat across on 777's....
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
What are the seat widths when they do 9?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hfly
Well I see a lot of not too smart people alk about how great EK is, and they are notorious for jamming an extra seat across on 777's....
which is in fact a smart decision, cause the vast vast majority of flyers only care about the fare. Nevertheless EK was able to get a four star rating, so obviously all other service items are not bad...

While speaking of EK, I am wondering you do not fire your usual comments about subsidies, cause surprisingly you would be right in this case...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.