Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines' no-fly plan threatens civil liberties

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2004, 5:57 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Airlines' no-fly plan threatens civil liberties

St. Paul Pioneer Press Article

"U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer, who privately reviewed the government's "sensitive" data, ordered the government in June to further explain why it hasn't disclosed certain documents in response to the ACLU's Freedom of Information Act request.

Breyer said the government has refused to say why the number of people on the list should not be disclosed. He also wonders why the government classified its procedure for adding names to the list as "non-disclosable sensitive security information."

"In many instances, the government has not come close to meeting its burden, and, in some cases, has made frivolous claims of exemption," Breyer wrote.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:24 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Spiff
bugmenot.com login to avoid annoying registration for this news site:

[email protected]
zhadum

Every government employee at every level responsible for harassing innocent passengers with the no-fly list and stonewalling their efforts to get off the list should be fired, banned from government service for life, have their pension invalidated, have their names published in newspapers as traitors, be subject to lawsuits from their victims, and be forced to go to public meetings with their families where they must listen to the bile and rage of their victims about what horrible people they are.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by studentff
Every government employee at every level responsible for harassing innocent passengers with the no-fly list and stonewalling their efforts to get off the list should be fired, banned from government service for life, have their pension invalidated, have their names published in newspapers as traitors, be subject to lawsuits from their victims, and be forced to go to public meetings with their families where they must listen to the bile and rage of their victims about what horrible people they are.
^ ^
Old Aug 15, 2004, 6:00 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
From the article:
"We are all for the government being in charge of that, of the government assuming that responsibility," said Diana Cronan, a spokeswoman for the Air Transport Association of America, which represents 22 airlines, including all major U.S. carriers. "They have all the information. They're trained and they have the intelligence."
Sheeple!
Old Aug 15, 2004, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Sheeple!
Yes but what they *really* mean is "They're trained and they have the intelligence" and the liability for making a mistake falls on their shoulders not on ours.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, Marriot
Well, no one has a Constitutional right to fly, so this whole thing lacks merit. If you got on a "no fly" list, it was because you were some kind of jack--- for one reason or another, so basically, you reap what you sow.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IamSpartacus
Well, no one has a Constitutional right to fly, so this whole thing lacks merit. If you got on a "no fly" list, it was because you were some kind of jack--- for one reason or another, so basically, you reap what you sow.

Sorry to inform you, but plenty of innocent people who were not "some kind of jack---" are popping up on the list. Having a name that is similar to someone who is a person of interest to law enforcement or intelligence is not good grounds to ground someone.

Plenty of people with common first and last names are going to pop up on the list. David Nelson is just one example. People with common last names like Brown, Nelson, Phillips, Smith, etc are on the list too. In the US, they get harassed the most.

To keep it simple, most individuals are reaping what they did not sow (despite what you wish to believe).
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:13 am

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Or maybe you have weapons of mass destruction? While the unalienable rights to 'liberty and pursuit of happiness' and the concept of governments 'deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed' are in the declaration of independence, rather than the Constitution of the U.S., they seem like principles worth upholding to me.

Last edited by Standby4321; Aug 16, 2004 at 4:17 am
Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think people do have a constitutional right to fly. That is, to travel freely and I think anonymously seems to me to be a bedrock of privacy. There are a lot of rights to privacy that are found in the constitution implicitly. For instance, only those things specifically given to the Federal government are in its power and everything else is reserved for the states and the people. This to me includes right of free and anonymous travel.

Think of the former Soviet Union where you needed to register with the authorities when you wanted to travel anywhere. This is known as "internal borders" and is essentially what you have with a "no fly" list...it is just more automated and less in your face, but it is the same deal.

Our constitution was founded on the rights of people to be free. That means free from the clutches of the government except in certain specific cases with specific reason, due process etc. If I require permission from my government to fly, that means I need to tell them I am flying (either explicitly or through a third party such as the airline telling them) and they have to let me. That completely flies in the face of the constitution, if you pardon the pun!

I think a better way to do it is this: the government is required to get a COURT ORDER that I can't fly. I am served with the order, and I can respond in the usual manner. If I choose to fight it, I have my day in court. It is a preliminary injunction, and can be obtained by the government showing the court that if I fly it is an immediate threat, so they can obtain a preliminary injunction almost immediately if necessary. But I have my day in court. To me, that is required under our constitution.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yes but what they *really* mean is "They're trained and they have the intelligence" and the liability for making a mistake falls on their shoulders not on ours.
Exactly.

If you got on a "no fly" list, it was because you were some kind of jack--- for one reason or another, so basically, you reap what you sow.
Now obviously you haven't been following the issue closely. The problem is precisely that people who have not done anything wrong are on the list. Lots and lots of them.

No one has a problem with a no-fly list of people who are confirmed to be dangerous. What people do have a problem with is the current state of affairs where some people are on the list because someone at the government doesn't like them (e.g. peaceful political dissenters), or because someone else has a name that's spelled like theirs, etc.

There was an article about a guy in SYR who travels a lot for business, but his name is on the no-fly list. Every time he wants to travel he has to call the FBI ahead of time so they can OK it.

richard: ^
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a constitutional right to travel between the states -- there is no constitutional right to fly. However, the government depriving someone of the privilege of flying without due process of law is a violation of the 5th Amendment.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
"They have all the information. They're trained and they have the intelligence."
Maybe I should have made myself more clear in the previous posting, but doesn't it seem ironic to anyone here that the people in government who put together this list, are in desperate need of serious intelligence and training, and furthermore need to correct the information they already have?
Old Aug 17, 2004, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Standby4321
While the unalienable rights to 'liberty and pursuit of happiness' and the concept of governments 'deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed' are in the declaration of independence, rather than the Constitution of the U.S., they seem like principles worth upholding to me.
and none of which says you have an unfettered right to fly on a particular flight. And the "consent of the governed" has been abrogated to the vote-whores in Congress long ago.

People who may "pop" up on a list due to similiar names, etc. are easily resolved, just as similiar names are resolved at a traffic stop. What the GU's of this world want you to think it is the Joseph Smiths or David Browns who have this problem, but it is not, unless that person somehow has attracted the attention of law enforcement. It's the Mohammed Whatevers that (rightly) ping on the list.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
and none of which says you have an unfettered right to fly on a particular flight. And the "consent of the governed" has been abrogated to the vote-whores in Congress long ago.

People who may "pop" up on a list due to similiar names, etc. are easily resolved, just as similiar names are resolved at a traffic stop. What the GU's of this world want you to think it is the Joseph Smiths or David Browns who have this problem, but it is not, unless that person somehow has attracted the attention of law enforcement. It's the Mohammed Whatevers that (rightly) ping on the list.
The truth of the matter is that the lists that NW uses impacts the Michael Browns and Dave Nelsons of the world more than the Mohammed Whatevers far more. Why? Because there are far more of them travelling in/to/from the US than Mohammed Whatevers. [And the overwhelming majority of the Michael Browns, Dave Nelsons and Mohammed Whatevers are innocent and did nothing to personally attract the attention of law enforcement. Some other individual named Dave Nelson, Michael Brown and Mohammed Whatever may have attracted the attention of law enforcement, but the majority of those people with such names are not guilty of attracting law enforcement's attention for anything worthy of putting their name on a no-fly or watch list.]

The "no-fly" list people are not "easily resolved" and it can take up to nearly three years to get off. The "watch list" people are more "easily resolved", but it's anywhere from a ten minute to two-day process depending if the local FBI office is available and has the resources at the time to conduct a phone interview or in person interview. Simple facts.

The only thing I want people to think is to think for themselves and use facts. The thing that you want people to believe is to think as you think regardless of the facts. Apparently, the IamSpartacus's of the world do not let the facts get in the way of their opinions.

Hint: That which the government aims at a minority is sooner or later also aimed at the majority too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2004 at 1:57 am
Old Aug 17, 2004, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But clearly if you've been keeping up with the news on this issue you'd know this is not the case. It takes a long, long time to get your name off the list, if you can even get it off at all.

And it is affecting people with a lot of different names, and not just the "bad" names that those darn brown-skinned people have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.