Air Marshals Pulled From Key Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Marshals Pulled From Key Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CATSA Screener:
You might be wise to report this security lapse to the proper authorities.</font>
So that thezipper can be questioned at length? And be put on file? Or so that the airport can be evacuated?

I'm being extreme here but the TSA has not been known for responding intelligently to "security lapses".

If you're going to report this, best to do it anonymously and at a time when you're not planning on flying.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

This episode HAS to be the lamest excuse at management yet. If there is to be an air marshal program (there shouldn't),... but if there is, then long haul flights seem to make sense, if you use HISTORY as a starting point. And, from where I sit, the whole reason that this thing exists is 9/11. A reactionary move.

There is no management in place. No accountability. No nothing.

So sad.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
So that thezipper can be questioned at length? And be put on file? Or so that the airport can be evacuated?

I'm being extreme here but the TSA has not been known for responding intelligently to "security lapses".

If you're going to report this, best to do it anonymously and at a time when you're not planning on flying.
</font>
I'd just call the FBI and tell them what happened.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:42 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CATSA Screener:
You might be wise to report this security lapse to the proper authorities.</font>
Has been reported to their security office, the reply was nothing less than enthusiastic:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I want to thank you for your recent letter to Mr. Ken Hylander regarding the security of our new reinforced cockpit doors and locking mechanism. Along with the new reiforced doors, our pilots and flight attendants have been trianed in the latest Transportation Security Administration (TSA) mandated training as it pertains to in-flight security. Within that training, special attention is paid to flight deck security.

Again, thank you for the attention you brought to this matter and I want to assure you that your concerns are being addressed. If you have further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me.
</font>
This was received in June, since then I have flown and saw the same "slip-up" I noted in my original letter... so much for "special attention is paid to flight deck security"
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:11 pm

Eight years later, it's over...

Eight years later, the administration has finally closed the book on this. The moral to the story: when you blow the whistle on the TSA, they can retroactively designated it with UNclassified "sensitive security information" (SSI) years later. And if the SSI is not convenient enough, not apologizing will seal the deal.

Without introducing any document into his six year old docket, yesterday the U.S. Merit Systems Protection Board ( MSPB ) rejected the U.S. Office of Special Counsel's ( OSC ) August 25, 2011 motion intervening in support of former Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Federal Air Marshal Robert MacLean.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...SA-Air-Marshal

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Air marshals pulled from key flights

WASHINGTON, July 29, 2003 — Despite renewed warnings about possible airline hijackings, the Transportation Security Administration has alerted federal air marshals that as of Friday they will no longer be covering cross-country or international flights, MSNBC.com has learned. The decision to drop coverage on flights that many experts consider to be at the highest risk of attack apparently stems from a policy decision to rework schedules so that air marshals don't have to incur the expense of staying overnight in hotels.

SEVERAL AIR marshals contacted by MSNBC.com Tuesday confirmed that they were alerted via text messages on their TSA-issued cell phones to check their schedules for changes.

"All overnights, starting from August first through the ninth, were canceled," an air marshal told MSNBC.com. "My [supervisor] told me overnights for all [field offices] were being canceled for an indefinite amount of time," said the air marshal, who requested anonymity. "The supervisors said they only had time to change schedules through the ninth."
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
a thought

i bet some of the 'bad people' out there are reading these, rolling their eyes & going...oh gawd...hijacking planes....thats so 80'z"
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Air marshals pulled from key flights

WASHINGTON, July 29 — Despite renewed warnings about possible airline hijackings, the Transportation Security Administration has alerted federal air marshals that as of Friday they will no longer be covering cross-country or international flights, MSNBC.com has learned.
And in an email I received today:

Release No. 09-05-11
Sept. 8, 2011

Pentagon raises force-protection level for U.S. bases

By Cheryl Pellerin
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has authorized raising the force-protection level for military installations mainly in the United States, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said Sept. 7.

I love the coordination of our government!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:41 pm

UPDATE

Case now before the U.S. Supreme Court, Department of Homeland Security v. Robert MacLean:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...vealed-15.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.