"HIGH" Terror risk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"HIGH" Terror risk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2003, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You'll notice that, all things considered, the ACLU hasn't made a whole lot of noise about these restrictions the last few weeks.</font>
What, if any, restrictions have been imposed as a result of being at Threat Level Orange, or, indeed, for any reason during the last few weeks?
Old Feb 12, 2003, 5:32 pm
Suspended

The ACLU is still trying to figure out the waste spended on Y2K
Old Feb 12, 2003, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
Obviously no one quoted any American muslims, especially the ones that live or work in downtown Manhattan.</font>
A friend of mine is Muslim and lives here in NYC. On the weekends, at prayers, the police have been stopping by to get the license plate numbers of all of the cars and driver's license information from the worshipers.

Great society.

d
Old Feb 12, 2003, 6:30 pm

On a lighter note, some of us who grew up in the civilized portion of Missouri wouldn't be offended at all if Branson disappeared...
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:29 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by homer37:
On a lighter note, some of us who grew up in the civilized portion of Missouri wouldn't be offended at all if Branson disappeared... </font>
You speak my thought that I dare not mention...Ground Zero...the Baldknobbers! (or the Osmond Theatre).

Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:04 pm

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Hip, hip, so hip to be square.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by homer37:
On a lighter note, some of us who grew up in the civilized portion of Missouri wouldn't be offended at all if Branson disappeared... </font>
Side effect (some would say 'benefit'): If you took out Branson on a weekend, the population of Arkansas would drop by a fourth.

Mook
Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:12 pm

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Hip, hip, so hip to be square.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SPN Lifer:
What, if any, restrictions have been imposed as a result of being at Threat Level Orange, or, indeed, for any reason during the last few weeks?</font>
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...030207-13.html

This merely provides details of what will be done at Threat Level Marmalade. How it is done is another matter, and the source of most of the concern around here.

Quite frankly, if someone tells me as I'm dropping a co-worker at the airport to get out and wait for my vehicle to be searched, I'm telling them to get f%&@ed.

Mook

------------------
The future of US domestic air travel:
"Please watch your head as you exit the aircraft."
Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

But what about "throwed rolls"?

Perhaps we can offer Branson as our sacrifical site.... as a side benefit we would clean up the gene pool and doublewides! Think of it as "rural renewal"
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:59 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jmartin:
I suppose a key question on terror alerts is this:

Is the intelligence driving the policy?

Or is the political policy driving the intelligence?

</font>
What intelligence? The intelligence has the most sophisticated and the best equipment in the world. But it sadly lacks in the other aspect of intelligence, the human factor. I am a native speaker of a foreign language. It's not as useful as arabic or persian. I also passed the US Foreign Service Exam, competeing against guys with degrees in interntaional relations and stood at 95% or above. I looked at job site of an intelligence agency that was loking for people with foreign language skills. They are looking for people with degrees in foreign relations area studies or languages and mine are in Physics.
I am not sure who is driving whom. But I do get a feeling that resourses are not being used to their best ability.

Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:18 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mook:
People are more likely to willingly yield their rights when they are convinced their safety is at stake.

To give an example: You'll notice that, all things considered, the ACLU hasn't made a whole lot of noise about these restrictions the last few weeks.

Why?

I'm guessing it's not because they feel that many of the moves don't blatantly violate our civil rights.

But because the "risk" is perceived as so high by the average American (I'll refrain from comment on the intelligence thereof), that they fear being marginalized if they speak up now.

A fear that certainly wouldn't be present if there was no orange "high terror risk" in the air.

Perception is reality.

Sorry to be so cynical. I'll sit back now and calmly await arrival of the agents.

Mook
</font>
Very well said Mook. In the days immediately following Sept 11, I got into trouble at work, I work for a major defense corporation, for objecting to hysterical statements made my co-workers, such as "wipe Afghnaistan from the face of the earth". When I objected to such statements I was greeted with "send all foreigners back, 'including you'". I complained to the higher ups, and it was ignored as a personality conflict. Why? because people were afraid and were willing to overlook and give up, nay, take away certain rights of others. We received frequent memos from the corporate security office cautioning us against people of middle easter origin or with accents trying to get information over the phone. That just about made it impossible for me to call another outfit of the company to get any information regarding the project I was working on. Things have been gradually calming down, which is a threat to Ashcroft's agenda. Unless periodic warnings are issued, Poindexter, Ashcroft et all risk losing the support for their totalitarian ideas.

Sorry about the rant. But you are right on the mark Mook. I am glad to see more and more people seeing through the farce of this security circus is.

[This message has been edited by Yaatri (edited 02-13-2003).]
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:59 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
As I am sure others who live in the Washington DC area can attest, there is an hysteria that is sweeping this area.

It reminds me so much of when I was a little kid and we practiced "drop drills" at school. The whole bomb shelter thing.

I am not saying we will never be hit by terrorism. I am questioning the level of hysteria -- there might as well be a biological attack, people here already feel under attack. It's not healthy for children and other living things!

</font>
My wife and children live in Washington DC area while I work in Mississippi. Although, I have not been watching any TV news I get the idea about the hysteria from our phone conversations. Here is what our preparedness includes.
Two changes of clothes for all of us. Toothpaste, tooth brush, deodorant, cologne, q-tips, dual voltage traveliing iron, dual voltage travelling hairdryer, two canon cameras, a video camera, all packed in two carry-ons, a stroller for our younger son, and two day packs. No sharp opejcts since I sport a beard and my wife does not shave on a daily basis. Finally the most lethal weapon of all four NW tickets to Frankfurt. Surprisingly light load for a family of four. But it's only for the weekend.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:09 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I find this thread both amusing and depressing. It is good to see that some of the US citizens are questioning their leaders. That is what a democracy is for. Good luck with your extra 'safety'.

It was upsetting to read that some people think all muslims are terrorists. I live in a City bombed by the IRA. Does that mean I can say that all Catholics are terrorists ? Of course not.

One last point. Mrs Thatcher went to war against Argentina in the 1980's, she easily won re-election the following year on a wave of patriotism. Now what is so big about 2004 in the US ?

Call me a cynic, call me what you want. I don't care, I just want to win Miss World.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GK:
[B]It was upsetting to read that some people think all muslims are terrorists.
</font>
Just so you are clear, no one in this thread has said all muslims are terrorists. However, a Reuters news wire story was quoted, which did claim that "pratically all" muslim pilgrims it interviewed during the Hadj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia expressed support for Bin Laden.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/030212/5/rsd8.html

Please be clear, just because someone may admire and advocates mass murder of innocent civilians, does not mean that they are actually a terrorist. These muslims that Reuters interviewed, might admire Bin Laden and his repeated mass murders of innocent Americans for their entire life, and yet never lift a finger to hurt anyone. This was a cross section of Muslims from all over the world who had congregated in Saudi Arabia for the special Hadj pilgrimage. This made suspect the earlier claim that the Hadj was a time for peaceful reflection. I guess the Saudi King "custodian of the holy sites" making guests of honor out of 1000 family members of mass murdering suicide terrorists made the idea even more suspect.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> I live in a City bombed by the IRA. Does that mean I can say that all Catholics are terrorists ? Of course not.
</font>
Let's suppose you went to the Vatican during a pilgrimage when Catholics from all over the world converged there. If "practically all" the Catholics you interviewed there expressed support for the murderous IRA, then it might be comparable to the situation described above.

Well not quite, the pope would also have to exalt 1,000 family members of the murderous IRA terrorists as "guests of honor" for the holy event, paying for them to show up.

Finally, the ArchBishop of Ireland would have to say equivalent something to what this muslim religious leader said:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=18773

[This message has been edited by benoit (edited 02-14-2003).]
Old Feb 14, 2003, 1:48 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Thank you for your comment. I was asking a rhetorical question, which I quite clearly stated was not valid logically.

I was simply trying to put the perspective across that what may seem a newsworthy statistic is infact prejudiced in presentation.

If it wasn't so 'provocative' it wouldn't have been 'news'. Go ask a crowd at a mid-west evangelical church on their opinions, they won't be balanced either.

Enjoy your code red. What is higher than that ? Bright red ? Infra red ?

[This message has been edited by GK (edited 02-14-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.