Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From 'The Industry Standard'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2000, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

From 'The Industry Standard'

The magazine deals with internet economy and has this small artical...

Flying in formation: Twenty-three airlines are banding together to make looking for fare specials online less like a five-stop hop in bad weather. A new site, as yet unnamed, will consolidate the major U.S. and foreign airlines' oneline-only last-minute weekend fares, allowing consumers to comparison-shop Web fares, a function that gives the new entity a leg up on established players.
I wonder if they know about www.smarterliving.com
Old Jan 25, 2000, 1:39 am

This is the site that was announced by DL, UA, NW & CO a few months ago. They have now added a number of foreign carriers and most of the US carriers.

Sounds like it could be the final attempt by the airlines to 'kill' travel agents. That's a shame...
Old Jan 25, 2000, 6:37 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000379.html
Old Jan 25, 2000, 7:15 am
Original Member

I believe that the joint site, if it offers internet fares or fares which cannot be purchased elsewhere, may be attacked as a joint or group boycott by the airlines of travel agents, and found to constitute an antitrust violation.
Each manufacturer or producer of a product is usually entitled to make their own decisions about the method of distribution of their product. So, if ONE producer decides they do not want to sell through travel agents, they do not have to, and it does not violate the antitrust laws.
However, if a group of manufacturers or producers (or, in this case, airlines) get together and announce plans to sell a particular product (low fare tickets) only through one distribution channel that they control themselves, they could very well be violating the antitrust laws. This probably constitutes a group boycott against all other internet travel agencies (expedia, travelocity, preview, itn, etc.), to say nothing of all regular travel agents.

Stay tuned on this one, folks. I don't think we have heard the last on this one. I would be very surprised to find that the airlines are going to run a joint site which they would control which would be the only place you could get discount internet fare type tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.