Search

Diana Ross arrested at Londons Heathrow Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 1999, 6:55 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Diana Ross arrested at Londons Heathrow Airport

The singer Diana Ross was arrested for alledgely striking a security officer at LHR. She had objected to being "frisked" after she set off the metal detector when trying to board a BA jetliner. She had got on and was ushered off about 20 mins later.

Lady sings the blues. Big time!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 09-22-1999).]
Old Sep 22, 1999, 7:28 am
Original Member

Presumably she will be finding hersef doing 3-5, like I would, if I had done it.

Or perhaps she won't.
Old Sep 22, 1999, 7:34 am
doc
Original Poster

Forgive me please for this apocryphal account:

Witness's heard the guard wailing "Stop in the name of love!" as Diana assaulted him repeatedly before cooly heading off to board her waiting Concorde flight.

Sorry, I could not resist!
Old Sep 22, 1999, 8:56 am
doc
Original Poster

Actually I just heard that she did get a 3-5! A fast 3-5" reprimand and has already been let go! Equal justice under the law, right! Next she'll sue 'cause she missed her flight. Look out BA.
Old Sep 22, 1999, 9:43 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Diana Ross made the statement after she was released that the Police "are wonderful" at Heathrow. Yeah right. If it would have been one of us, we would be in jail for the next 2 years for air rage or something. I guess being famous helps.

At the very least, I hope that the Concorde didn't wait on her.

Old Sep 22, 1999, 9:50 am
Original Member

Funny you should say that jeffrey, but I always manage to avoid hitting these people. Occassionally, I even mange some courtesy, or a little smile. Just wait until I'm famous...

[This message has been edited by james (edited 09-22-1999).]
Old Sep 22, 1999, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
The security people at LHR are so unfailingly professional and courteous that I really wish some of the USA airlines would hire the same people (ESPECIALLY DL AT EWR!!)
Old Sep 23, 1999, 5:11 pm
Commander Catcop

The london Heathrow airport security staff is among the most courteous in the world. And they listen and ask "well how was your flight, what did you do?" Some very chatty.

I could see it from MZ Ross's perspective too.

Maybe they did not address her as "MZ ROSS."

It's like airline employees not addressing me as "Your excellentcy, the great and wonderful Mighty Catman."
Old Sep 23, 1999, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
doc: Did you see Jay Leno last night? He used your line! (Except that he acted it out.) Kevin Eubanks was ROFL.
Old Sep 23, 1999, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Just happened to catch part of her interview on CNN's Larry King Live tonight and I have to say that I have very little sympathy for her at all - she's trying to say that the security officer melested her which I find very hard to believe. I completely agree with the above statements about the politeness of the security staff at LHR and in fact at all UK airports. I really do wish that US airports would employ such professional courteous security officers as opposed to contracting it out.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 7:04 am
doc
Original Poster

No, I actually fell asleep. Probly hundreds if not thousands came up with the same bit- it's kinda obvious, huh?

This type of unfair discrimination against NON-celebrities burns me up personally. Also, I'm no attorney, but by US standards at least, this may possibly open up a line for an effective defense of someone after behaving extremely poorly and even manhandling and assaulting an authority figure. One could claim and probably will, that it is unfair to be charged/punished and they are being unfairly discriminated against. Geez, you can get nailed just for verbal abuse! Fine example of how to behave but an even worse example of how to deal with "people behaving badly," IMHO. She should have been made to tell it to the Judge! And they also delayed the entire crew and pax while they waited for this "diva." It turns out to be just a great worldwide publicity stunt, it seems.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 8:59 am
Original Member

Fortunatley Doc, a British judge would still laugh you out of court if you tried the 'Diana Ross Denfence'. I agree that this sort of thing sets a terrible pecedent for the public.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 9:21 am
doc
Original Poster

Dont underestimate the value of a trial by peers, aka, a jury trial to an accused individual. You never know. Just ask OJ-If you can find him- he's be real busy looking for the "real" killer!
Old Sep 24, 1999, 9:46 am
dg1

I saw parts of her CNN interview. My gut is that she's at fault, flipping out over a minor incident. What I don't understand is why they didn't use the wands I've seen at all US airports to search for the metal rather than 'frisk' her... Never been to LHR or UK for that matter so don't know if rules/mores are different there.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 10:45 am
Original Member

dg1 - UK airports use both systems. It is not uncommon to be frisked if you set off the arch, although it is also my impression that the arches at UK airports are generally set to a lower sensitivity than their US equivalents. It is also my impression that the reason for this is that Americans would be more sensitive about the personal contact from a stranger than Europeans. I am happy to accept a frisk as a necessary security precaution andof course it elminates all the problems for those with pacemakers, etc.

The oddest place I've been for this is Schipol (Amsterdam) where the security arch is actually on the jetway as you board the aircraft. That makes boarding a trial and any extra security checks (personal or baggage) delay all the passengers behind you. I suppose it is the ultimate in protecting the aircraft but I found it really annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.