Diana Ross arrested at Londons Heathrow Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diana Ross arrested at Londons Heathrow Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 1999, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I saw the ridiculous Larry the Loudmouth King interview. Can you believe this Diana Ross thing got so much publicity? My take was Diana Ross blew things way out of proportion. I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, Diana Ross (for the whole episode) or Larry King (for not having anything better to talk about). I used to watch Larry's show from time to time - after this, NEVER AGAIN!
Old Sep 24, 1999, 3:38 pm

James (2 posts above) comments on the location of security at Schiphol. This is done to reduce the chance of a lapse of security (or corruption) in another country and subsequent carrying aboard of weapons on a connecting Amsterdam flight. US airports have this screening for flights arriving from overseas.

I found carry-on allowances were smaller and enforced on many UK carriers. If you argue, will they grab your breast? In many European countries, it's best not to argue with security or the police because they are inflexible
Old Sep 24, 1999, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I don't really understand Ms Ross. I've been frisked a couple of times at Heathrow - not a big deal, yes, they did search me VERY thoroughly, but I never felt molested or abused, or misused. Yes, someone other than my wife ran hands over my genital area, but it vertainly wasn't in a demeaning or sexual way. I took it for what it was - SECURITY. Maybe diana Ross should get off her overly important horse and join the rest of the world - really, if they wanted a cheap feel, I sincerely think that diana may be just a little over the hill.

I AM SORRY FOR ANYONE THAT I MAY HAVE OFFENDED BY MY LACK OF SENSITIVITY FOR AGE OR SEX. IF YOU ARE TRULY OFFENDED - I DON'T CARE!

Larry (:
Old Sep 24, 1999, 5:08 pm
Original Member

I see your point about the security points at schipol but I still find it most inconvenient - my experience of US airports is that there is an equivalent (single) security point for everyone leaving the Customs Hall. There must be a more time and pesonnel efficient system than one arch at every gate. Presumably the Dutch trust those countries they treat as 'domestic' for passport control (Schengen) to have effective security and others could be channeled through a gate after passport control or in a transit area. Do you know of any other airports with the same system as Schipol?

I agree the UK carriers tend to enforce their carry-on rules. It is infinitely preferable to US airlines that have these rules and yet allow you to circumvent them at will. (yes, I know that is supposed to be changing). It is thankfully rare to see passengers on BA or BD carrying on the contents of a small house and moaning about the lack of space.

I also agree that European security officers tend to be strict about their jobs. Inflexible has negative conotations but there are rules (usually laws) that they are charged with enforcing and so they should be. I have found that a little courtesy goes a long way with such people and there are simple rules to follow. Do exactly what they ask. Don't make threats, either verbal or physical. Never joke about what you have in your luggage or what you are going to do. Be patient - they can do it at the arch or they can do it in a police station. If they want to frisk you, they're going to frisk you. Simple really. The only problem I have ever had is in Italy, where the guards and I had no common languages - availability of an interpreter would have been nice as it was a major airport (FCO).

Old Sep 24, 1999, 7:17 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Schiphol used to be wonderful- the absolute best. The Schengen/nonSchengen thing is sometomes a nightmare with the new (now relatively so) Passport controls within. Now it is merely very good. I once came in late and with a gate cahnge I was on the non-Schengen side- a nightmare later ensued when I tried to go through passport control to meet someone in the KLW Lounge, while I had a hotel room on the other side of the airport since I'd switched in advance from East to West due to construction at the other hotel. They busted my hump repeatedly, "why, why, why?" - An American in Amsterdam getting creamed like he was in Eastern Europe 15 years ago!

Diana Ross was being a pain in the butt- and she simply walked! Nothing personal and I surely was not there, but it is a real shame, IMHO.
Old Sep 24, 1999, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
It seems to me that the Met. Police did the appropriate thing all the way around. An apparent minor assault on a security officer occurred, which they had to react to; they delayed and inconvenienced Diana Ross for a few hours, teaching her a lesson; then since so real harm seems to have been done, they released her without charging her, figuring (correctly, IMHO) that getting rid of her as soon as possible was in their best interest. Otherwise, the phalanx of entertainment press, publicists, managers, agents, etc., that was already starting to assemble would have begun a P.R. barrage that the Police would be unlikely to win. If she never comes back there again, or uses private jets in the future, I doubt they will lose much sleep.

BTW, it was my impression that BA did not hold her original flight, and that she ultimately took a later-scheduled one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.