Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Washington Post: Why do ‘gate lice’ line up early for a flight? Psychologists explain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Post: Why do ‘gate lice’ line up early for a flight? Psychologists explain

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United

Fun WaPo article (paywall) on gate lice. The comments are just as good as those on FT. Oddly though I have always thought the term gate lice originated from passengers.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the author’s statement that GAs came up with the term probably reflects that she doesn’t know about FT

(or at least didn’t want to cite it as her authoritative source)
OTD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Gate Lice

The term "gate lice" is now mainstream LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...boarding-line/

excerpts:While gate agents will give clear, boarding group-specific directions , there remains a strong contingent of passengers who either get in line before they’re called or wait in their seats until they’re the last to board. While the latter type of traveler often hangs back to avoid standing in line altogether, the motives driving the former group can be harder to place.

Airline employees even have a nickname for these types of fliers: Gate lice.

Psychology experts pointed to two potential explanations for why passengers get in line early: conformity and competition.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:06 pm

Non paywall for WaPo gate lice
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
another article today — 52 Rules for Flying — just as mundane, comments are just as entertaining

will try to locate non-paywall version to link
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:08 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...l#post35821530
Old Dec 15, 2023, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The term "gate lice" is now mainstream LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...boarding-line/

excerpts:While gate agents will give clear, boarding group-specific directions , there remains a strong contingent of passengers who either get in line before they’re called or wait in their seats until they’re the last to board. While the latter type of traveler often hangs back to avoid standing in line altogether, the motives driving the former group can be harder to place.

Airline employees even have a nickname for these types of fliers: Gate lice.

Psychology experts pointed to two potential explanations for why passengers get in line early: conformity and competition.
It comes down to people fighting for overhead space and getting overhead space near their seat. The later one boards, the less likely one is to find overhead space near their seat, or possibly not even at all. People carryon to avoid bag fees and to avoid having their carryons checked and potentially getting lost.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are a lot annoying and/or deragtory terms in our lingo. For me, "gate lice" and "pointy end" are tied for the lead. "Kettles" and "Karens" aren't too far behind. Then, there are some of the acronyms like "HBO" and "OPM". I have no issue with airport codes, though, no matter how obscure.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:11 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving discussion about this article to the Travel News forum. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
There are a lot annoying and/or deragtory terms in our lingo. For me, "gate lice" and "pointy end" are tied for the lead. "Kettles" and "Karens" aren't too far behind. Then, there are some of the acronyms like "HBO" and "OPM". I have no issue with airport codes, though, no matter how obscure.
'Pointy end' - annoying or deragatory? Not sure i get either. Agree on the other terms.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:57 am

When I flew on Sunday, from Denpasar, I could hear that there were announcements but couldn't make out a single word that they were saying. I moved closer to the queues and the gate agents so that I could actually work out what they were saying, and see them holding up numbers of fingers. If this makes me a gate louse, I don't feel in the least bit guilty. The claim above that clear instructions are given are not always true. Once they have been through an intercom at least.

At Doha, the announcements were clear as day and I stayed seated until it was my time to board.

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Jan 11, 2024 at 6:44 am
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Why would a psychologist be needed to explain fairly simple human behavior? People mill around the gate waiting for their zone to be called so they can get onboard sooner to get overhead space. Similarly people bunch up around a baggage carousel to get their bags as soon as they come out of the chute.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.