NY Times - Taking Off From School to Take In the World

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
NY Times - Taking Off From School to Take In the World

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/01/t...e=articleShare

In Ms. Davi’s school in California, a student missed the first three weeks of classes this year for a trip. Others have traveled to Las Vegas, Disneyland and Washington, D.C. The school’s policy allows these absences, so long as the administration is informed beforehand, but teachers are not obligated to put together work packets for children missing class for vacation.

“I tell the students, ‘We continue without you, so the responsibility is on you when you get back,’” Ms. Davi said, adding that classroom work and other assignments are online on Google Classroom. Whether or not a student will check in and keep up is “case by case.”

“There are some students who are intrinsically motivated as it is,” she said. “But then, there are students who are completely cut off. They come back and have no idea what’s going on.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.