Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

NYT - Ask a Flight Attendant: Middle-Seat Etiquette, Drunk Passengers and Jet Lag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYT - Ask a Flight Attendant: Middle-Seat Etiquette, Drunk Passengers and Jet Lag

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

I definitely didn’t realize that FAs are only paid when the plane doors are closed. I always believed that my colleagues should be paid for their travel day including wasted time at airport for delays. The idea that a FA isn’t paid when they’re on plane and enduring MX is a shocker.

Is it true that flight attendants don’t get paid until the plane starts moving?

That is true. Each airline is slightly different. I am paid as soon as the door closes, and we stop being paid when the door opens. It is also true for pilots.

That means if we show up to work on time and our flight is delayed for three hours, we are not paid for that time. If we board up, have a full plane of passengers and then have a maintenance issue or an air traffic control hold, we are also not paid for that time. However, if we get out on the taxiway and are number 27 in line for takeoff, we do get paid for that.

If a flight cancels, most airlines have cancellation pay that protects us, so we get the pay that was scheduled. Some airlines don’t have that protection, though. So trust me: We hate delays and cancellations as much, if not more, than our passengers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/t...e=articleShare
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by gaobest
I definitely didn’t realize that FAs are only paid when the plane doors are closed. I always believed that my colleagues should be paid for their travel day including wasted time at airport for delays. The idea that a FA isn’t paid when they’re on plane and enduring MX is a shocker.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/t...e=articleShare
And it has been this way forever. It is part of the whole "flight attendants are there just for our safety" schtick. The FA unions are working on changing rules soon, though. And I think it is good business that they change!
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:46 pm

Not Delta. They changed recently to pay Flight attendants for boarding time
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Wow. Flight gets delayed for hours or canceled and they waste their whole day at the airport and get paid nothing? Amazing that people tolerate being treated this way.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Unions negotiate over things like this and hourly rates are negotiated accordingly. They have to pick a time to start/stop the clock. Some airlines use the door closed/open time. Some use the release f the brakes or a rotation of the wheels. This data is all transmitted by ACARS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.