Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Where have all the 767-300s gone? Gone to Amazon!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Until now, Amazon has leased aircraft to operate its air logistics operation, but it has just purchased 13 Boeing 767-300s and will soon have its own fleet of cargo aircraft, 85 in all for now, to bypass excess capacity cargo purchases from FedEx (which did not renew its contract with Amazon in 2019) and UPS. Amazon executives have decided it’s more economical to operate its own fleet, and is taking advantage of the recent grounding of many Boeing 767-300 aircraft by major airlines (such as American Airlines, which grounded its 767, 757 and A330 widebodies last year due to the Covid-19 travel slowdown. Those of us who flew on 767-300s will likely be glad these stalwarts will remain on flight duty, even modified for cargo flying, than seeing them get parted out and cut up at the breakers.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/...keoff-4292977/
GlobalMatt, jspira and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Until now, Amazon has leased aircraft to operate its air logistics operation, but it has just purchased 13 Boeing 767-300s and will soon have its own fleet of cargo aircraft, 85 in all for now, to bypass excess capacity cargo purchases from FedEx (which did not renew its contract with Amazon in 2019) and UPS. Amazon executives have decided it’s more economical to operate its own fleet, and is taking advantage of the recent grounding of many Boeing 767-300 aircraft by major airlines (such as American Airlines, which grounded its 767, 757 and A330 widebodies last year due to the Covid-19 travel slowdown. Those of us who flew on 767-300s will likely be glad these stalwarts will remain on flight duty, even modified for cargo flying, than seeing them get parted out and cut up at the breakers.

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/...keoff-4292977/
Flying out of MIA late last year I remember seeing an untitled but clearly former AA 767 parked over at the cargo ramp. I was curious who was using it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.