Search

Bloomberg: Chinese Airlines Are Flooding the World With Super-Cheap Airfares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Bloomberg: Chinese Airlines Are Flooding the World With Super-Cheap Airfares

Killing four empty hours at Guangzhou airport waiting for a China Southern connection to Sydney may not be everyone’s idea of fun. For Gina Capella, it was a no-brainer.

The 43-year-old Boston resident and her friend saved hundreds of dollars last year choosing China Southern Airlines Co. over a direct flight from Seoul with Korean Air Lines Co. or Asiana Airlines Inc. “We didn’t mind the layover because it was so much cheaper,” she said. “Like, almost half the price.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lobal-carriers
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, we flew to China for under $600. And the plane was only about half full.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
More competition is always better. Downside is you have to fly a Chinese airline which gets mixed reviews.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Yeah, I could have easily gotten LHR-MNL for Ł270 recently but ultimately decided losing my sanity wasn't worth it and decided to try EK instead.

Maybe in the future when/if the military doesn't control the majority of the airspace I might try a Chinese carrier but until then I will go with other Asian ones.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The worst inflight "meals" I have ever eaten, were served on board Chinese airlines.

I had "chicken" on a domestic flight, that could've easily passed as flavoured tofu, very soft rubber or mushrooms, but not chicken. The badly translated ad in the back of the seat didn't help. The crew was friendly, but that's about it.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
The worst inflight "meals" I have ever eaten, were served on board Chinese airlines.

I had "chicken" on a domestic flight, that could've easily passed as flavoured tofu, very soft rubber or mushrooms, but not chicken. The badly translated ad in the back of the seat didn't help. The crew was friendly, but that's about it.
Eating airline food is no longer an option for me, I have no choice but to bring my own. However, my wife considered the food on Hainan to be well above typical airline fare.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:51 pm

Interesting topic, even if the article itself is poorly written (China Airlines is not a China airline, etc.)

On the route I fly frequently between Europe and Asia, CA is indeed half the price of the competition now, and in the next couple of days I'll be giving them a chance in favor of EK that I used to take.

The hard product on both is comparable (in Y). The real concern is the likelihood of IRROPS due to frequent airspace closures over China, which is one good reason to avoid transferring there, compounded with the Chinese carriers' lack of will or ability to deal with it the way that minimizes the chaos.

Transferring can also be a PITA for other reasons: changing terminals at PVG on a CZ itinerary where one sector was a codeshare on KL metal, I had to go out of the building completely so that I could walk into the other terminal and check in again for the onward flight, a major hassle. This caveat is not supposed to apply to CA at PKG though.

As for the catering, from my experience, the strongly-flavored Chinese (and Indian) dishes are some of the best food I've ever had onboard. For some reason they seem immune to reheating-induced blandness most airline food succumbs to. Whenever there's a choice, I'd always go with a Chinese, Indian or other strongly-flavored option for the meal on any airline. On the CZ flights I took, the food was above average, and the service was lightning-fast.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
My experience with PRC airlines is limited to CA J/C class long-haul (Europe-Asia, CONUS-Asia). Based on that, I found the hardware more than adequate on those flights (flatbed, duvet etc.) IFE was ok but limited especially for recent Hollywood blockbusters and popular TV shows. Service had rough edges (not SQ but not the worst of stateside carriers either) which could be ameliorated if one spoke Mandarin; English language was a bit limited (at least amongst the FAs in Biz on those flights).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:24 pm

I was recently tempted to try a trip from ORD to SGN on China Eastern via PVG. At the sub $600 price (including a stopover in Shanghai) it's hard not to bite.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Chinese big 3 (CZ, MU, CA) are a better trio in economy than either the US big 3 (UA, DL, AA) or the EU big 3 (BA, LH, AF/KL). Their pitch is generally better and food is better too. In business they also aren't bad although I've found, living in China, that their fares in business class are generally higher ex-PRC than the foreign airlines.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:23 am

For some reason, the 2017 biz class fares on CA ex-SIN to North America have shot up drastically, by more than US$1250, compared to what was available as recently as November 2016. Ah well. Shoulda known it wasn't gonna last.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:04 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Is it still prohibited to use mobile phones - for games/music/videos - aboard mainland airlines?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Is it still prohibited to use mobile phones - for games/music/videos - aboard mainland airlines?
Officially yes.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hainan, Nov 16, not allowed to use my phone to read a book.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Hainan, Nov 16, not allowed to use my phone to read a book.
Encountered the same in Dec 16 on an international flight with CA. Irritated me considerably but what the hell. Read the book on the ipad instead. Apparently mobile phone flight mode doesn't exist in the PRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.