Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the Pilot: The Silent Anniversary - 15 Years Since the Last Major Crash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Ask the Pilot: The Silent Anniversary - 15 Years Since the Last Major Crash

Now in Ask the Pilot: The Silent Anniversary.

It has now been fifteen years since the last major air crash Involving a U.S. legacy carrier.

This isn't a minor story. On the contrary, it's one of the most significant milestones in U.S. aviation history.

On November 12th, 2001, American Airlines flight 587, an Airbus A300 bound for Santo Domingo, went down after takeoff from JFK airport, killing 260 people. Since that day, there has not been a large-scale, multiple-fatality disaster involving a U.S. major.

To be clear, there have been a handful of tragedies involving regional carriers and freighters, and some will argue that it’s unfair to gerrymander statistics in this fashion. But it's the majors that set the standard, and it's only fair that we measure from there. And, in decades past, one or two catastrophes a year involving a legacy carrier was considered normal, even expected. Where we stand today is almost unbelievable. Fifteen years is by far the longest such streak, ever.

The full article is here...

WWW.ASKTHEPILOT.COM

Please enjoy.

-- Patrick

(Per FT guidelines, I acknowledge that I am the author of the story linked to, above.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.