Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather.com: Abandoned Airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Weather.com: Abandoned Airports

Photos of ten abandoned airports from around the world on weather.com here.

Some, like Nicosia in Cyprus and New York City's Floyd Bennett Field, have been closed for decades. They're crumbling, covered with weeds. Others, like Ciudad Real in Spain, look as though they're ready for tomorrow's ribbon-cutting and the next day's flights.

Not many years ago, San Francisco's Crissy Field would have been on this list. The new park is nice, but I miss the historic feel of the old runways.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
Ciudad Real in Spain, look as though they're ready for tomorrow's ribbon-cutting and the next day's flights.
Top Gear stopped by there a few years ago to zip around on the runway. That place is brand new!!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Interesting stuff, glad to see the old Austin airport made the list, I used it back in 1991 or thereabouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.