Wiki Posts
Search

Behind the curtain of North Korea's official domestic airline

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Behind the curtain of North Korea's official domestic airline

The world's only 'one-star' carrier

• Aram Pan, flew from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, into the communist nation's capital, Pyongyang
• He flew on the Ilyushin Il-18, the Russian made Tupolev Tu-204 and an Mi-17 helicopter
• On board entertainment was limited to only one channel playing DPRK dramas and documentaries

By Sarah Dean for Daily Mail Australia Published: 19:51 EST, 13 October 2014

A deserted airport customs lounge, luggage weighed by hand on an old fashioned scale and a cockpit with no digital assistance, are just some of the sites a photographer from Singapore has captured on camera after flying with the world’s only one-star airline.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...r-airline.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 17, 2014 at 9:57 am Reason: Removed apparent undisclosed tracking or referral link
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:49 am

How in the world did he get to fly in the Huey?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by largeeyes
How in the world did he get to fly in the Huey?
That's their version of an Express RJ, maybe...? :-)

Hey, looked clean, had some kind of IFE, a meal, FAs looked friendly/smiling, and looked like decent legroom... strangely compares well to a lot of what we fly these days. :-)
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:05 pm

Still think it is better than any US airlines!

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Oct 14, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: QF Silver, VA Gold
A few things to note from the pictures.

Legroom - better than most western airlines
Food - looks fine and again, better quality than most western airlines
Crew - better dressed and probably at least as competent as western airlines
IFE - provided free of charge! and available (unlike some western airlines)
Safety - not hearing about Il-18s/Tu-204s dropping out of the sky every day
Toilets - massive in Il-18 but similarly cramped in Tu-204
Luggage - free checked luggage and no fight for overhead bin space!
Departure times - note "on time performance" compared to western airlines
Arrivals Customs/Immigration - compare queues to arrivals at say LAX!

Looks like fun to me.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:16 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by eastwest101
A few things to note from the pictures.

Legroom - better than most western airlines
Food - looks fine and again, better quality than most western airlines
Crew - better dressed and probably at least as competent as western airlines
IFE - provided free of charge! and available (unlike some western airlines)
Safety - not hearing about Il-18s/Tu-204s dropping out of the sky every day
Toilets - massive in Il-18 but similarly cramped in Tu-204
Luggage - free checked luggage and no fight for overhead bin space!
Departure times - note "on time performance" compared to western airlines
Arrivals Customs/Immigration - compare queues to arrivals at say LAX!

Looks like fun to me.
Uhh... yeah... the food was gross. Good thing I had brought bakkwa on the plane. Arrivals was a zoo that we bypassed because we bribed the officer w/ Johnnie Black. Departures was super-quick because the DPRK wanted everyone out fast. It's possible that we indirectly contributed to comrade Generalissimo Kim Jung-un's gout. Also, we were on the same flight as Merrill Newman. You may know him as the guy that decided to tell his hosts that he served in Korea. Smh.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Meh. Cool pictures but the article doesn't impress me.

I've flown on Air Koryo multiple times. They don't deserve their one-star rating one bit. The new Tu-204 aircraft that serve the Beijing to Pyongyang route look just like any modern airliner, with LCD screens, etc. I'm pretty sure most passengers have no clue they're on a Russian airplane. Service is good, and so is the food when a full hot meal is served (the famous burger, however, not so much.)

The typical mention of "the only one star airline" is getting old. I promise you that Air Koryo is luxury compared to Ryanair. And quite on par with many US airlines.

This was an aviation interest tour - the entire point of the tour is to fly vintage aircraft. And travelers do get to use local airports, which technically are military facilities. No wonder there's traditional scales there.

As for the deserted immigration hall, well indeed, outside normal flight times, it's not like anyone hangs out at the airport. Pyongyang sees a handful of international flights a day at most, and the occasional domestic service. The new airport terminal is an overkill...

Last edited by Pat Plus; Oct 14, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:15 pm
uxb

I was served the nasty burger one way and "pizza" the other way. Did you notice the ore-departure music? "Dream" by the Cranberries. I would've went with "Zombie."
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:46 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I flew with JS in 2010. Not bad in the least, and I was even "upgraded" to a J-class seat from having been randomly selected while boarding.

Upon arrival at FNJ, my (our) mobile phones were confiscated, though they let me keep my laptop and other electronics.

Never for one second have I put any stock in star/diamond/any-ratings system. It's just sensationalism.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:40 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I flew with JS in 2010. Not bad in the least, and I was even "upgraded" to a J-class seat from having been randomly selected while boarding.

Upon arrival at FNJ, my (our) mobile phones were confiscated, though they let me keep my laptop and other electronics.

Never for one second have I put any stock in star/diamond/any-ratings system. It's just sensationalism.
I went last October. We got to keep our phones, but had no service. I was able to pick up a faint signal from the DMZ, but I couldn't get anything out. GPS seemed to work independent of our network status.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Interesting. I was in DPRK in 2007. Phone was confiscated on arrival (I had meant to leave it in Beijing, but forgot) but returned to me at the airport when I was leaving. I flew an IL-62 between Beijing and Pyongyang. For me, that was cool because I remember that as the premier long haul aircraft of the Soviets from the 1960s.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Pat+
This was an aviation interest tour - the entire point of the tour is to fly vintage aircraft.
Where does one find out about future runs of this tour? I've never seen any such tour offered before. Sounds like fun!

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm Reason: corrected non-standard orthography for sake of future searching
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Where does one find ut about future runs of this tour? I've never seen any such tour offered before. Sounds like fun!
http://www.juchetravelservices.com/T...n%20Tours.html

You will have a great time. Most of the people on the aviation tours are aviation enthusiasts, so there is plenty of airliner talk. The JS staff and crew were very patient with our photo taking. Just don't take photos of any military stuff.

uxb - I too was on the flight when Merrill Newman was taken off. I am trying to recall who you are.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
For those who are wondering, customs in Pyongyang are typically a breeze these days and cell phones aren't confiscated anymore.

(Note that there are parts of the country where different rules apply, but for run-of-the-mill tourist trips to Pyongyang, the experience has become quite painless.)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:15 am

Do you have to take your shoes off? Do they have nude-o-scopes? Do the officials shout at you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.