Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots Often Head to Wrong Airports, Reports Show

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:48 am

^ remember that well.....waaaaay back when I was younger
Originally Posted by HMPS
IMHO, nothing tops my childhood memory of a BOAC Comet landing at the Juhu Airport in Bombay (now Mumbai) instead of the nternational Santacruz airport. About 3 miles separating both, oriented on similar compass points.

Juhu is more suited for a DC 3 sized airplanes, used mainly by a Flying Club and Auxillary Air Forces of India.

I saw this landing, the pilot must have realized his point of no return while landing...upon tochdown he got nose wheel in the grassy part, folloed by the left main gear in the grassy area at the edge, slowing it down, otherwise it would have crossed two ditches, a main toroughfare and residences.

Staye dthere for over a month, a tourist attraction no less. Tens of thousands of people turned up to see it take off on such a short runway.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:51 am

This is the one at Juhu Airport that I remember:
Japan Airlines Flight 472 was a flight from London to Tokyo via Frankfurt, Rome, Beirut, Tehran, Bombay, Bangkok and Hong Kong. On September 24, 1972, the flight landed at Juhu Aerodrome near Bombay, India instead of the city's much larger Santacruz Airport (now Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport) and overran the runway, resulting in the aircraft being written off after being damaged beyond economic repair.[1]
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, Marriott; BeWelcome, Servas
I like second article down from that, reporting that a factory was closed because a cobra had usurped the proprietor's chair.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, Marriott; BeWelcome, Servas
Originally Posted by atsak
A bit of a silly question I could probably google, but do GPS / Satnav devices not work in planes? They do a reasonably good job getting me to where I mean to go in a car.
Given the numerous tales resulting from people's relying on their GPS, I'd expect flying errors wouldn't disappear. In addition to flaws in the software itself (being unaware that two streets don't actually intersect, as a land-based example) there remains the problem of programming them correctly. Wasn't the Sakhalin disaster theorized to be in part caused by the digits in the flight's coordinates being reversed? (I could google, but I'm being lazy.)
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
The article says pilots are attracted by run way lights. Why don't airports have, in lights, the three letter airport code spelled out on or next to the run way?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
The article says pilots are attracted by run way lights. Why don't airports have, in lights, the three letter airport code spelled out on or next to the run way?
Probably a cost/return issue. As stated upthread, there's only ~15/year.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Yeah it's probably expensive for regional airports to to implement such lettering
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Lumeria
Given the numerous tales resulting from people's relying on their GPS, I'd expect flying errors wouldn't disappear. In addition to flaws in the software itself (being unaware that two streets don't actually intersect, as a land-based example) there remains the problem of programming them correctly. Wasn't the Sakhalin disaster theorized to be in part caused by the digits in the flight's coordinates being reversed? (I could google, but I'm being lazy.)
There's a lot fewer airports than streets though. So perfection would be easier to attain. I agree though; it's not a be all and end all, but I would think it would be a useful additional piece of the puzzle.

Or you know, pilots could just be more careful
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Why don't airports have, in lights, the three letter airport code?
This is a good idea, but need something for daytime, too. But, wouldn't the four-letter code be better since it is international (for exampls, ICN is really RKSI). Yes, I know, U.S. airports have "K" in front of their IATA code (from the early days of radio calls, just like U.S. aircraft still have "N" from the radio call signs), but most foreign airports are unrelated to the three-letter code.

I don't see how the cost would be so high, using LEDs, considering the possibilities of what could happen if landing at the wrong airport.

A question I have: does ATC have any idea where aircraft are on approach? Shouldn't they inform the pilot if he/she is in the wrong pattern?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
I don't see how the cost would be so high, using LEDs, considering the possibilities of what could happen if landing at the wrong airport.
Presumably the airports would end up paying for the system, but not see much benefit from it--the aircraft operator would see the most benefit from it.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Presumably the airports would end up paying for the system, but not see much benefit from it--the aircraft operator would see the most benefit from it.
Other than the cost of cleaning up the mess after a big plane lands on a too short runway.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: United MP
Why don't they train pilots to confirm that they're headed for the right runway?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Why don't they train pilots to confirm that they're headed for the right runway?
In many/most of these cases the pilots think they are headed to the right airport and the controller thinks so too. Usually this sort of thing happens with runways that are near each other (but at different airports) and facing approximately the same direction.

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 13, 2014 at 7:24 pm Reason: Corrected non-standard orthography the sake of future searching
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Lumeria
Wasn't the Sakhalin disaster theorized to be in part caused by the digits in the flight's coordinates being reversed?
If you are referring to KAL007 being shot down by the Russians then the answer is no. The aircraft's autopilot never captured the INS course. It was on heading hold mode as it drifted off course into Russian airspace.

Originally Posted by mre5765
How large do you expect those letters would have to be to be readable from a few miles away at 200 mph?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
In many/most of these cases the pilots think they are headed to the right airport and the controller thinks so too. Usually this sort of thing happens with runways that are near each other (but at different airports) and facing approximately the same direction.
I don't find that answer satisfying. I meant trained to make absolute sure they are headed for the correct runway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.