Economy has companies still scrimping on travel, survey says

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Economy has companies still scrimping on travel, survey says

USA Today: Economy has companies still scrimping on travel, survey says

I know the economic woes continue on both sides of the Atlantic... With this survey, is 407 business travelers' opinions really reflecting the industry?

It seems, at least among many I know, that travel has picked up for some, but not others.

When I'm on work travel with my current employer, it's always been the cheapest fare...no matter what the economy was doing.

More than a third of 407 business travelers surveyed this month say fewer employees in their companies are allowed to travel to meetings than a year ago, according to the online survey sponsored by Cambria Suites.

About a quarter of survey respondents say more of their business trips have cost-saving daily spending limits than a year ago, and 23% report they are staying less frequently at full-service or luxury hotels.

The survey, conducted by the research arm of the Global Business Travel Association, the trade group representing corporate travel departments, includes only business travelers with full-time jobs and who took at least four business trips of at least 50 miles each in the last 12 months.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While the economy may be a factor I don't think it's the main factor comparing last year to this year. I think many companies and organizations have woken up to the fact that over the past few years flying discount, renting cheaper and staying in lower tier hotels did not change their productivity at all. Like the last line of the story says

More than half say that a hotel's amenities have a greater effect on their ability to work productively than do those connected with airline flights or rental cars. Free hotel Wi-Fi is an amenity that about 90% say is important.

The assumption that expense reports will go back to a level they were a decade or whatever ago is probably something the reporters should give up on, I don't ever see companies going back on those in large enough numbers to make a difference.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
When I'm on work travel with my current employer, it's always been the cheapest fare...no matter what the economy was doing.
That's actually one of the joys of working for a small company. I know that even my CEO is flying the cheapest possible ticket. (My overseas colleagues tell me that he has even worse jet-lag than I have). In return they work with us to stay on one airline so we can build status. In our industry face-to-face is critical so the economy is not much of a factor. We like to sell our products in all economic climates.

Likewise hotels, always cheapest unless I'm staying at a conference venue. And public transport whenever possible. BART, SuperShuttle, Heathrow Express, RER, DC Metro, even a city bus every now and then... taxis only when there is no alternative.

The Scottish blood in me likes all that.

PS. Doesn't hurt to have a spouse who's always approved for J and therefore cannot use her SWUs...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Maybe some of it is that the budgets were set early in the year so there actually is not money in a budget to pay for the travel.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
I know the economic woes continue on both sides of the Atlantic... With this survey, is 407 business travelers' opinions really reflecting the industry?
Depends on who the 407 are and the sample. However, it sounds about right to me. Many people I work with now opt to use Skype, Go To Meeting or something similar for things that in the past they would have had a face-to-face.

And for my employer we're all required to be on the lowest available airfare. The only exception to that are flights to Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.