Alternatives for Popular Tourist Destinations in the US

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

I thought this was a pretty interesting list of things you can do near/at various popular destinations in the US if you're looking to avoid the tourist "traps" or even looking for something different to do in a particular area. I like the idea of the Boston Harbor Islands...may have to check it out the next time I go to BOS! The SFO Cheese school has some appeal as well.

Although is Miami more family friendly than WDW??

- San Diego --> Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
- Las Vegas Strip --> Fremont Street
- Walt Disney World --> Miami
- Faneuil Hall Marketplace --> Boston Harbor Islands
- Times Square --> take a food tour of NYC! I agree! PLENTY of good food in NYC!
- Washington DC's Memorial Parks --> Internationa Neighborhoods
- Grand Canyon --> Red Rocks State Park
- Niagra Falls --> Watkins Glen State Park
- Chicago's Navy Pier--> Roscoe Village neighborhood
- SFO's Fisherman’s Wharf --> Cheese School of San Francisco
- MSP's Mall of America --> MSP's many museums
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Some of those in the list are in the same city or metropolitan area as the well-know tourist spot. On the other hand, Watkins Glen, which is near where I live, is 150 miles from Niagara Falls, NY, and correspondingly farther from Niagara Falls, Ontario. It would be a completely different trip, as I see it.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Umm, i would take Orlando over Miami sny day.... Tourists and all...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:54 pm

Consider Letchworth State Park as an alternative to Watkins Glen. It's known as the Grand Canyon of the East, and it's closer to Niagara.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by rwoman

- MSP's Mall of America --> MSP's many museums
Really! When I flew home from Europe on Icelandair last summer, I sat next to an Icelandic couple who made an annual shopping trip to the Mall of America to buy their children's school clothes, having figured that the cost savings on the clothes made up for the cost of the airfare.

However, unless you come from one of the rare North American cities that has no shopping malls, the Mall of America is just an overgrown, poorly lit mall with the same stores, food court tenants, and theaters showing mindless movies as any other mall.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ksandness
Really! When I flew home from Europe on Icelandair last summer, I sat next to an Icelandic couple who made an annual shopping trip to the Mall of America to buy their children's school clothes, having figured that the cost savings on the clothes made up for the cost of the airfare.

However, unless you come from one of the rare North American cities that has no shopping malls, the Mall of America is just an overgrown, poorly lit mall with the same stores, food court tenants, and theaters showing mindless movies as any other mall.
I have a Belgian friend who is going to the US for the first time this coming August...one thing they plan to do is SHOP...tends to be much cheaper!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I have a Belgian friend who is going to the US for the first time this coming August...one thing they plan to do is SHOP...tends to be much cheaper!
Anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time in Europe knows this. Pretty much everything is cheaper in the US.

A while back I trying to look for various award flight options and I was looking at the Aeroflot site and they were advertising 3 day shopping trips to NYC. The fact that the sold such a package suggests that such a demand is there.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Some of those in the list are in the same city or metropolitan area as the well-know tourist spot. On the other hand, Watkins Glen, which is near where I live, is 150 miles from Niagara Falls, NY, and correspondingly farther from Niagara Falls, Ontario. It would be a completely different trip, as I see it.
And yet still worth doing! Anyone (like me) who's been to Watkins Glen and hiked the gorge trail and its 18 waterfalls, is sure to tell all his/her friends, and want to return again. By contrast, IMHO Niagara Falls is "seen it once, been there done that".
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Watlkins Glen is a real gem though. We srumbled upon it while driving back from Niagra Falls in 1985. We loved it.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:16 pm

Re alternative to the Mall of America:

Roughly a mile from the mall is the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. If you need some time to clear your mind or wear out the little ones, stop in the visitors center and take a hike.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Minnesota...oomington.html

Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1976 to provide habitat for a large number of migratory waterfowl, fish, and other wildlife species threatened by commercial and industrial development. Located in the heart of the Twin Cities metro area, the Refuge offers a variety of free outdoor recreational experiences for individuals and families. The Refuge also has two Education & Visitors Centers, gateways to over 14,000 authorized acres. The main Center is located in Bloomington, one mile east of the Mall of America. A smaller Center is located south of Carver. The Refuge stretches over 50 miles from Fort Snelling State Park beyond Belle Plain, Minnesota. http://www.fws.gov/midwest/MinnesotaValley/intro.html
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors

- Chicago's Navy Pier--> Roscoe Village neighborhood
??? Roscoe Village is fine but Andersonville (for one) is far better: in addition, Andersonville is about a 5-10 minute walk to Argyle/Broadway which is also worth visiting.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If a Dane, Swede or -- even more certainly -- a Norwegian have half their wits about them when on a trip to the US, they can more or less cover at least half of the economy class airfare for the trip by shopping in the US to replace "domestic" shopping.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
I've quite enjoyed "Urban Caving" in and around Detroit. If you like old buildings and abandoned sites you'll have a good time.

Since the majority of your list includes parks, I would add Big Bend in south Texas (particularly the south rim) and Isla Royale in the UP of Michigan. The latter is only accessible by ferry 2x a week but is the most remote and untouched camping I've seen in the US.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:06 am

Among all these places I am familiar with the San Diego & Niagara falls which are great destinations to visit.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Freemont Street isn't a tourist trap like the Strip?

Please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.