Search

WSJ Article on Young Frequent Fliers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG,United Mileage Plus, HHonors
Great article!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
One of these lads -- whose name escapes me -- needs to study FT more thoroughly. He bought a Oneworld rtw ticket for $4k so he could get AA gold; why didn't he sign up for a platinum challenge as well?

A more entertaining WSJ article is the one about distressed French nobles and how their insular ways are entrenching them even further into poverty. If they had any sense, they'd marry lifetime elite members (the closest thing the US has to titled nobility) so the two parties can confer their respective ranks upon each other.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Great find, I like the guy who said he wants to spend every cent he has on travel. Haha.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: UA
I guess I can sort of relate. I'm a student also, and I've been to dozens places most of my friends can't even pronounce or point on a map. However, unlike the individuals in the article, most of my earnings have been through credit-cards and normal spending. (Without incurring a penny of interest.) I'm not the type to chase an elite-status or bonus RDMs. I've previously toyed with the thought of mileage-runs and glitch-fares, but in the end, even if I round up enough butt-in-seat miles to fly to the moon with minimal exposure, I still feel like I'm paying for it.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:41 pm

Agreed ... not sure what the point is of such a trip (as was mentioned in the article), but to each their own.

Trips like that added up to first-class mileage award tickets for him and his wife to visit Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong over 17 days next year.

Originally Posted by Paul79UF
Doesn't seem like much fun to fly to Europe just for a quick dinner.

I'd rather save up to take a nice long trip than be stuck on a plane the majority of the vacation.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My now 5 year old has Delta SkyMiles membership.. Paid tickets which collect points, I think is prudent to get the kids on FFPs.. why not? ..

You can achieve free flights by signing them up, if eventually if enough points are collected..
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Agreed ... not sure what the point is of such a trip (as was mentioned in the article), but to each their own.

Trips like that added up to first-class mileage award tickets for him and his wife to visit Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong over 17 days next year.
That would be me

The trip looks more insane than it is: we are spending 4 days in Korea, 3 in Hong Kong and 7 in Japan, the Germany and Switzerland are just connections. On the way I route through Germany for 12 hours (never been in the country before, so I figured I'd catch lunch) and on the way back through Zurich for 23 hours (a night in one of my favourite cities). Why that direction instead of over the Pacific? Combination of better availability, a desire to spend a few hours in Europe and a chance to try some airlines I've never flown before. My wife is flying Cathay over the Pacific and meeting me in Korea, and flying back direct from Japan. Sadly not enough miles in either alliance to travel together.

We'd love to go for longer, but as the parents of a 5 day old (will be ~6mo then), we don't want to leave him for that long. We may yet decide to bring him along, time will tell.

As for Vegas for lunch... well that was just for the heck of it. Good ice breaker story though.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My son has has status with at least one airline, if not two since he was 3 years old.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
Great find, I like the guy who said he wants to spend every cent he has on travel. Haha.
You really should meet him someday. Will is an absolute hoot and his travels are wild to say the least. I know he was in LAX 5 days ago for the OWMD launch; who knows where he is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.