Wiki Posts
Search

CNBC: Now 30 Years Old, Frequent-Flier Plans Draw Consumer Ire

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CNBC: Now 30 Years Old, Frequent-Flier Plans Draw Consumer Ire

On the 30th anniversary of frequent-flier programs, miles and user options have soared — but so has frustration.

With literally billions of miles chasing a scarcity of cheap seats — 25,000-point flights, the longtime industry minimum for a domestic coach seat — consumer complaints are rampant. Ever-changing fees, blackout dates and other restrictions are adding to the discontent.

Industry experts say any redemption — whether it’s a gift card for gasoline or two tickets to Hawaii – builds customer loyalty. But for consumers perhaps nothing is more precious — and appealing — than a free flight.

“I would never cash in my miles for golf clubs because I would get less than a penny a mile in value,” says Randy Peterson, a frequent-flyer guru who’s built up a cache of more than 17 million air miles.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42785178/
Old May 18, 2011, 1:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There comes a point where frustration and other disappointment with a "loyalty" program not only lays the seeds for turning off those who were repeat customers but also costing the "loyalty" program operator negative publicity, either by word of mouth or in the press.

... and a program operator attempting to buy off -- in one way or another -- media and/or commentators is limited in terms of its effectiveness and sustainability before the lid pops off and things boil over.

On a separate note, I notice a spelling error in a name.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:51 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The OP can feel free to re-post according to the guidelines here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newss...-articles.html

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Newsstand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.