Homeless man lives off hotel points from former life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeless man lives off hotel points from former life

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Silver
It needs to be said: the way he's spending his money in the midst of penury (e.g., bottled water, storing nonworking assets) is a microcosm for the whole state of California's means of managing finances.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
No Pointbreaks available?
No.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:06 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Homeless Man Lives off Frequent Flier Points

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/unemplo...ry?id=10075366

The recession has led a lot of Americans to find creative ways to survive. For Jim Kennedy, an unemployed 46-year-old California man, that's meant using his 1-million-mile-plus stockpile of hotel and airline points to keep a roof over his head.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Cool "Homeless" man getting by on points

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com..._blg=1,1695921

"A lingering benefit of his former well-paid and well-traveled corporate life is keeping a roof over the head of Jim Kennedy, who is now jobless, bankrupt and foreclosed on. He’s using his rewards from airline loyalty programs and hotel points to move from hotel to hotel...."
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
In just skimming the replies, I only was able to find one potential FTer, based on this comment:

"Good thing he doesn't have USair points. You can't hardly even get a Usair flight with those."

Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I'm put off by the harsh tone of some comments.

This guy is trying to hold on to his dignity -- even if she could help him, he won't tell his mother he's unemployed. He's not blaming anyone - he just wants to get back on his own feet.

He wants to keep his possessions, which represent a link to his prior success. He's trying very hard to believe that if he keeps working to find a job, he will find a job - and then he'll be back to "normal", which for him means he can go back to drinking wine & playing golf & watching his big-screen TV.

His identity was probably tied up in his work. He doesn't burden people - he relies on what he's saved, on the unemployment benefits he paid taxes & premiums to earn all those years, and prudent money management.

Think about what he's done:

If he gave back the BMW, what would he do for transportation in OC? Nobody will give him a new lease deal now, will they?

Would you rather he sign a long lease & screw a landlord out of the rent when he goes broke? Would it be smarter to stay in sleazy SRO motels that probably charge just as much - and don't give him breakfast or the safety of a chain property?

If he sold his household goods, what happens when he finds that job? How long will it take him to afford to re-establish all the tangible manifestations of being "normal"?

The lack of empathy here is scary...I hope it's because none of you have ever been fired, and I hope you never have to go thru it.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Perhaps the lack of empathy is because he's masking it. I would appear much worse off than that guy, I don't have a car, I don't drive and I live in a tiny apartment with my wife. This guy is 'homeless' and lives better than I do!

I've stayed in youth hostels for $80 a week that were secure and offered me a free breakfast in the morning. So yea I think he could manage without the chains, some people just don't want to lose thier lifestyle.

I do hope he gets back on his feet and I think this is a great way for him to get his name out there, if so this is a great reason to it!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CO FF
I'm put off by the harsh tone of some comments.

This guy is trying to hold on to his dignity -- even if she could help him, he won't tell his mother he's unemployed. He's not blaming anyone - he just wants to get back on his own feet.

He wants to keep his possessions, which represent a link to his prior success. He's trying very hard to believe that if he keeps working to find a job, he will find a job - and then he'll be back to "normal", which for him means he can go back to drinking wine & playing golf & watching his big-screen TV.

His identity was probably tied up in his work. He doesn't burden people - he relies on what he's saved, on the unemployment benefits he paid taxes & premiums to earn all those years, and prudent money management.

Think about what he's done:

If he gave back the BMW, what would he do for transportation in OC? Nobody will give him a new lease deal now, will they?

Would you rather he sign a long lease & screw a landlord out of the rent when he goes broke? Would it be smarter to stay in sleazy SRO motels that probably charge just as much - and don't give him breakfast or the safety of a chain property?

If he sold his household goods, what happens when he finds that job? How long will it take him to afford to re-establish all the tangible manifestations of being "normal"?

The lack of empathy here is scary...I hope it's because none of you have ever been fired, and I hope you never have to go thru it.
i agree with you 100%....even i felt some of the comments here were very harsh....
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that I read that his BMW is being leased by his ex-employer and they are allowing him to keep it until the lease runs out. He doesn't own it.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:16 pm

I do agree with the idea that if he's paying points + $25/night, I'd go for a $35/night (or less) Priceline deal and keep the points.

But I'd keep the furniture, golf clubs, wine as well, since those things are expensive to replace and he'd get much less value trying to sell them. If he could basically keep a small apartment worth of furniture, then if he finds a job he can move it all in. Storage places out of the way are pretty cheap, although his is probably climate controlled with the wine.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by mbstone
The guy could have stayed at the same or similar hotel for $25 on Priceline and kept his points.
Or just rented a place for the $750 a month he's now spending on hotels and at the same time eliminated the need to have a separate storage unit rented for his stuff and the need to lease a BMW to pick up his mail + saved the miles.

But hey, you don't get to be in the papers by using common sense and doing what every other person would.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
I'm sorry, but when you're getting almost $2000 a month in unemployment for one single person, you really aren't "roughing it". It is really hard to feel sympathy for somebody who refuses to cut back on his lifestyle when he loses his job. Buying bottled water, staying in hotels? Make this guy sleep on a park bench and use public transportation, and then maybe he might deserve empathy. If you can't feel "normal" without your aged wine collection, Evian, and BMW, you really are out of touch with reality, particularly if you've lost your job.

If one can spend $1500 month or less and live comfortably in San Francisco (and I know many people who do), and other expensive parts of California, this guy should be able to as well. He might have to 'gasp' rent a room in a multiperson apartment or house, and actually cook his own food with cheap groceries from Safeway instead of prepared meals and TV dinners, or drink tap water sometimes. I know it's not 'cool' to actually take a bus in the OC, but they do exist.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by r415
I'm sorry, but when you're getting almost $2000 a month in unemployment for one single person, you really aren't "roughing it". It is really hard to feel sympathy for somebody who refuses to cut back on his lifestyle when he loses his job. Buying bottled water, staying in hotels? Make this guy sleep on a park bench and use public transportation, and then maybe he might deserve empathy. If you can't feel "normal" without your aged wine collection, Evian, and BMW, you really are out of touch with reality, particularly if you've lost your job.

If one can spend $1500 month or less and live comfortably in San Francisco (and I know many people who do), and other expensive parts of California, this guy should be able to as well. He might have to 'gasp' rent a room in a multiperson apartment or house, and actually cook his own food with cheap groceries from Safeway instead of prepared meals and TV dinners, or drink tap water sometimes. I know it's not 'cool' to actually take a bus in the OC, but they do exist.
I love it that a AA EXP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold is giving advice about how somebody should "rough it."
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by mosu84
I love it that a AA EXP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold is giving advice about how somebody should "rough it."
Well I do love it, at least it shows that unlike the guy on the article not everybody who flies more than once a year and stays sometimes in somewhat nice hotels is completely out of touch with reality.

I think it just outrageous that the guy seems to think that people should feel sorry for him, when there are plenty of Americans that work who cannot afford his lifestyle (living in hotels, driving a BMW coupe etc. etc. etc.).
And then we should pity him because he has to buy a big bottle of water instead of 4 small ones? Poor thing, I'm pretty sure that boarders on human rights violation...
I mean that's almost as cruel as having to fly C instead of F when traveling internationally!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by mkgrip
Well I do love it, at least it shows that unlike the guy on the article not everybody who flies more than once a year and stays sometimes in somewhat nice hotels is completely out of touch with reality.

I think it just outrageous that the guy seems to think that people should feel sorry for him, when there are plenty of Americans that work who cannot afford his lifestyle (living in hotels, driving a BMW coupe etc. etc. etc.).
And then we should pity him because he has to buy a big bottle of water instead of 4 small ones? Poor thing, I'm pretty sure that boarders on human rights violation...
I mean that's almost as cruel as having to fly C instead of F when traveling internationally!
We must have read completely different articles. He doesn't come across as begging for sympathy at all. Please point me to the quotes in the article that make you think that. The article wasn't written as a sympathy piece. It was written because someone found a unique way to deal with losing his home, and some journalist decided it would be a cool story. How often do you hear someone default on their mortgage and say this:

"I’m not going to claim I was cheated out of my house," Kennedy says several times. "I didn’t pay my mortgage."
Sounds like a guy who is taking responsibility. For the life of me I can't understand why people in this thread are so mad at this guy.

1. He is obviously stuck in a lease that he signed before he got into financial trouble. You can't just stop paying your lease payments. I mean, you can, but it's going to cause a ton of headaches and it should be avoided. As someone who has done it before, it can be a pain in the butt to terminate a car lease. Terminating a lease can cost someone thousands, and it's not easy to find someone willing to assume your lease. I'm going to assume that he has considered these options. The guy finalized his bankruptcy in January, so nobody is going to give him a lease on a new car any time soon. Also, it's likely he has almost no cash to even buy a decent used car. Some have mentioned that he should take the bus, but I'm betting he's looking for jobs across a wide area in Southern California right now and the bus just isn't a great option for such a broad market. Especially when you consider the costs of terminating a lease early. I don't blame him for keeping the car while the unemployment benefits are still coming in. He paid for them while he was working, and you guys shouldn't shame him for taking unemployment like everyone else does.

2. The guy had over a million points/miles saved up and for some reason people expect him to sell everything and go sleep on a bench? That's ridiculous. He should deplete his resources before he ever gets to that point. He clearly prefers hotels right now, and why shouldn't he? It's going to be tough for him to sign a lease given that he's unemployed, and even if he does sign a lease, that might restrict his job search area. Could he find a month-to-month deal with a roommate somewhere for $750? Probably. But why do that when he can trade in the miles and live in nicer accommodations for the same price? It seems like you guys want him to live in unpleasant conditions just for the sake of doing it. Like someone else said, now is as good a time as any to use the miles. They will probably be substantially devalued by the next time this guy plans a vacation.

3. Have any of you tried to sell a 350-bottle wine collection before? It's not exactly a liquid investment. Who are you to say that he hasn't tried to sell it? Selling golf clubs, wine, etc can be tricky. You don't want to sell them for rock bottom prices if you don't have to.

4. The whole bottled water v. tap water debate is stupid. Sure, he may save a few bucks, but it's really not a huge sum of money if he's living on $5/day right now.

Sorry for the lengthy screed, but I was just shocked by the hostility coming from people in this thread. Of course, I guess it's easy to criticize when you're posting from a comfortable first class seat.

Last edited by mosu84; Mar 13, 2010 at 5:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.