Reload this Page >

Nut Free Zone on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut Free Zone on AC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Cure for deadly peanut allergy 'within three years', say doctors...

It looks promising that passengers don't have to go nuts or suffer nut-free flights in the near future.

From [UK] MailOnline:

A permanent cure for deadly nut allergies could be less than three years away, British doctors said yesterday.

In a breakthrough that offers hope to hundreds of thousands of sufferers, researchers say they have 'effectively cured' 21 children of the dangerous condition.

They are so confident of the treatment - which uses tiny doses of peanut flour to build up a child's resistance to the food - they are starting a £1million clinical trial on more than 100 children.

The researchers also say the same therapy could be used on other allergies - such as milk and egg. <snipe>

Although the children were effectively cured, many suffered mild side effects, including itches and stomach aches. A few also had rashes and wheezing. The side effects were treated with antihistamine drugs.

The new trial, being funded by the Department of Health, will compare the effects of peanut flour to a harmless placebo in 104 allergic children.

Dr Clark said: 'This is going to be the largest trial of its kind in the world and it should give us a definitive idea of whether it works and whether it's safe.'

The children have already been recruited and treatment starts next month, he told the American Association for the Advancement of Science's conference in San Diego, California.

Dr Clark added: 'I think in two or three years time we will be in a position where we have a treatment that works, but we are still working on a long-term cure.'
Link to CNN's coverage: here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.