Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Tries to Blow Up Jet Arriving in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrx900
How da heck do you cause carnage by mixing Tang with Soda water inside the plane?
Neglect to put in the vodka?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
I think the appropriate punishment would be to void ALL his SkyMiles and revoke his membership in Priority Club.....this act of attempted violence is just unacceptable in this community
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Good multi page thread about it in the Delta Forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-detroit.html
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
incompetent fool

Isn't it taught in Terrorism 101 that you blow the plane up while the tanks are full or nearly full to get a bigger bang? I should do a search on "Terrorism for Dummies".
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
From msnbc.
On Rep. Peter King of New York, the senior Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee, who was briefed on the incident, said Abdulmutallab was known in federal counterterrorism files and may have been on the government’s list of suspicious passengers banned from flying in the United States.
I don't get why he wasn't prevented from getting on the flight in the first place, if his name was on a no-fly list. Either Peter King doesn't know what he's talking about, or there is something really wrong with homeland security (or, more likely, both).
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Just a couple of comments:

1) No, an explosive does not have to be confined to detonate, at least not a high explosive. Deflagration of low explosives may be more efficient if strongly confined though.

2) Think back to junior High School science classes - if you are old enough to have had "real" demonstrations, you'll recall an experiment with a liquid and a powder (which I will not name here) that burst into a blazing flame. I suspect something of this nature.

Other reports I have read state that lower half of the suspect's body was aflame (ouch) and he was taken to a burn center with 3rd degree burns. Is it considered torture to withold morphine until he talks a bit ?

All in all, a disconcerting event. I imagine a rapid push for 100% use of millimeter wave body scanners for all air travellers soon...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by Frozentech
J
Other reports I have read state that lower half of the suspect's body was aflame (ouch) and he was taken to a burn center with 3rd degree burns. Is it considered torture to withold morphine until he talks a bit ?
yes.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frozentech
Just a couple of comments:

1) No, an explosive does not have to be confined to detonate, at least not a high explosive. Deflagration of low explosives may be more efficient if strongly confined though.

2) Think back to junior High School science classes - if you are old enough to have had "real" demonstrations, you'll recall an experiment with a liquid and a powder (which I will not name here) that burst into a blazing flame. I suspect something of this nature.

All in all, a disconcerting event. I imagine a rapid push for 100% use of millimeter wave body scanners for all air travellers soon...
He appears to be talking already, and yes, it is torture.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by mlbcard
I don't get why he wasn't prevented from getting on the flight in the first place, if his name was on a no-fly list.
Too much is made of the no-fly list. Quite frankly it means nothing and it is advisable that people refrain from equating someone's name being on the list with a propensity to cause mischief. Many young children, including my own are on this list and other than making the american security establishment look like the foolish pigs that they are, this list has no positive qualities whatsoever.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Damn, glad no one was hurt (except the terrorist). Hopefully all will return to normal. Glad the other passengers got involved.

The rules have changed. As a passenger you can no longer be passive, you need to get involved and stop dangerous people from doing stuff like this.

I just hope this won't cause more senseless TSA actions / regulations and be the straw on the camel's back that breaks air travel.

PS - I hope the terrorist scum is in a lot of pain, and will endure a lot of agony during the recovery. The more pain the better.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Perhaps just a test to determine reaction, which was excellent BTW.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
From the article:

The Homeland Security Department said passengers may see additional screening measures on domestic and international flights because of the incident.
Oh, wonderful. What's next? Strip searches for everyone? "Bend over and spread 'em!?
Naked flying with pre-flight enemas.

BUT a couple of questions

a) how does increasing screening measures on flights FROM US airports help prevent this happening again?
b) will this mean the TSA will stop profiling ME types
c) will be there be more panicked passengers who refuse to fly unless the black guys - as opposed to Hindus, Sikhs or Buddhist monks - are removed from the flight?
d) why do Evul Turrists not use the loos when they are trying to blow up planes?

And a couple of points

a) did he decide to fly on Christmas Day because he knew security would be less?
b) did he have an man at AMS who was able to get him through security?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:52 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Hmm. Maybe he was coming from Abuja to deliver some of that money that I keep hearing about in emails.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Many young children, including my own are on this list
Your child is not on the no-fly list. Someone with a substantially similar name is on the list. That's why they're adding full names, date of birth, and gender to the reservations. It will help the computers tell the difference between your child and the person on the list with the similar name.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Your child is not on the no-fly list. Someone with a substantially similar name is on the list. That's why they're adding full names, date of birth, and gender to the reservations. It will help the computers tell the difference between your child and the person on the list with the similar name.
You are incorrect. My child IS ON the no fly list. His DOB and other relevant information check out perfectly with the list and I have been advised that his name will not be removed. There is no recourse in such situations and people need to understand this. I am interested to see how things will pan out for him as he grows older, but in the meantime I am quite happy to watch the american security establishment make utter fools of themselves over a seven year old. Trust me, subjecting him to delays every time he travels does nothing for security or for the reputation and safety of the u.s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.