Survey says: US becomes top country brand for tourist and business travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Survey says: US becomes top country brand for tourist and business travel

SINGAPORE (Reuters) – Barack Obama has done it again. The president's starpower has made the United States the place most people want to visit and do business with, according to an annual survey that ranks nations like retail brands.

The Country Brand Index, compiled by brand consultancy FutureBrand, found the United States had unseated Australia, which held the top spot for the past three years. Australia came in third this year with Canada rising to second place.

New Zealand and France rounded up the top five country brands in this year's index that included 102 countries.

"The Obama effect has seen the United States earn the coveted top spot for the first time in the fifth annual index," FutureBrand, which is part of Interpublic Group of Companies, said in a statement.

"The revitalization of Brand USA, and other factors, have resulted in the effect on Australia's ranking. It highlights the importance of keeping a country brand fresh, relevant and engaging in a highly competitive international marketplace," added Tim Riches, CEO FutureBrand Singapore.

The index is based on a survey of about 3,000 business and leisure travelers from nine countries.

In addition to branding countries, it also identifies global trends in travel and tourism, which the statement said was the world's fastest growing economic sector.

The United States was seen as the ideal place for business, one of the top places for families, shopping and quality products, as well as one of the countries people wanted to visit whether for the first time or again.

The FutureBrand survey echoes a similar poll which showed that the United States was the most admired country globally, largely thanks to Obama's global popularity.

Looking ahead, the index identified the United Arab Emirates -- which includes the Gulf cities Dubai and Abu Dhabi -- China, and Vietnam as the top three nations likely to become major tourist destinations in the next five years.

Croatia, South Africa and India also made the list.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091106/...tries_rankings
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:51 am

The success of a brand is determined by how well it sells rather than the perception it has.

As I recall the US has been doing rather badly as a tourist & business destination for the past several years
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What a total bs !

I dont know of many other countries with so many hassles for tourists and especially business travellers than the U.S. !

The popularity of the U.S. and it's territorries is merely connected to the weak USD and the respective high buying power of especially the european countries. Plus, there is of course the factor of the individual tourist whose dream "I want to see New York / Hollywood" is the reason for a trip. These cities always had a magnetic effect worldwide on people and thats certainly nothing that can be accounted for towards Obamas or anyone elses presidency.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:04 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What a total bs !

I dont know of many other countries with so many hassles for tourists and especially business travellers than the U.S. !

The popularity of the U.S. and it's territorries is merely connected to the weak USD and the respective high buying power of especially the european countries. Plus, there is of course the factor of the individual tourist whose dream "I want to see New York / Hollywood" is the reason for a trip. These cities always had a magnetic effect worldwide on people and thats certainly nothing that can be accounted for towards Obamas or anyone elses presidency.
Agree completely.

The US is a disgrace when it comes to welcoming visitors. The United States' stupid, unnecessary policies of "security" harassment are disgusting beyond belief.

I hope all tourists continue to boycott the USA, especially if the $10 tourism extortion tax goes into effect.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The USD is at least as strong or stronger now against the EUR than the USD was in most of 2008.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Didar56
I also agree that there are so many hassles and challenges for foreign visitors to overcome -- but I certainly do not "...hope all tourists continue to boycott the USA...".

The best way for people from around the world to learn that America and Americans are much more than some of the unfortunate policies of our government, is to visit, learn, and enjoy.
I disagree. The US government should be taught an expensive lesson for its arrogance towards guests. Americans can do a better job as ambassadors by traveling abroad to countries that haven't implemented policies of idiotic harassment similar to those of the US.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
+1 !

Wait until we get to pay $10 to enter the US on Visa Waiver. Numbers will decline again.

I so hope that the EU will put up a $10 charge as well, just for US citizens if the US implements their stupid new idea.

The only smart country so far seems to be Brazil. Take their finger prints, take their pictures and just dump it while they are still around.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
The only smart country so far seems to be Brazil. Take their finger prints, take their pictures and just dump it while they are still around.
LOL !
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
I disagree. The US government should be taught an expensive lesson for its arrogance towards guests. Americans can do a better job as ambassadors by traveling abroad to countries that haven't implemented policies of idiotic harassment similar to those of the US.
I wonder how much of the mix is arrogance, ignorance and paranoia !?

Unfortunately the government will just give a S*** if less tourists come, what should any administration care about the $$$ that the tourists bring if with a single cluster bomb they waste more money than 10 well prepared tourists could spend on a weekend in NYC
Old Nov 7, 2009, 3:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
+1 !

Wait until we get to pay $10 to enter the US on Visa Waiver. Numbers will decline again.

I so hope that the EU will put up a $10 charge as well, just for US citizens if the US implements their stupid new idea.

US citizens like myself will be exempted from any such retaliatory measure by the EU; and those not exempted from such measures will just end up eating it or otherwise finding out their strongest power is not in the ability to influence politicians but in the ability to allocate away their money.

[Brazil doesn't finger print me either,and I don't think they even have a picture of me on file. That was largely scrapped.]
Old Nov 7, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I partly agree with the article. For many Europeans the U.S. under Reagan was self-confident and exciting, under Clinton out-looking and exciting but under GWB it managed to lack both in trustworthiness and progressiveness.

Obama symbolises change, although it seems that he will have difficulties breaking his chains. The mistrust of everything new and foreign during the GWB period seems to keep a grip of too many of his own partisans.

As someone who lived a period in the U.S. in his youth, it seems that some of the charm of the cities' main streets and shopping malls have been taken away by WalMart and the likes.

Still, the U.S. will always have its natural wonders, the parks, state parks, landmarks and beaches. San Francisco's scenery and ambience is second to no European city IMO. My experience of the U.S. is mostly limited to Northern and Southern California and N.Y. so I can't speak much of other places.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
For most people in the world America is not a destination, it is an arrival.

Winston Churchill said it best for those of us aware of history.

"America will always do the right thing - but only after having exhausted all other possibilities"

Last edited by PropWasher; Nov 7, 2009 at 10:26 pm
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:05 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Spiff
Agree completely.

The US is a disgrace when it comes to welcoming visitors. The United States' stupid, unnecessary policies of "security" harassment are disgusting beyond belief.

I hope all tourists continue to boycott the USA, especially if the $10 tourism extortion tax goes into effect.
Of course, that will mostly hurt the parts of the US that receive tourists, where the local people are most likely to be already more skeptical of the policies that you dislike, while having little effect on the parts of the US that do not receive as many tourists, where support for the policies that you dislike is likely to be the strongest.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by tjl
Of course, that will mostly hurt the parts of the US that receive tourists, where the local people are most likely to be already more skeptical of the policies that you dislike
These are the very people that should be shaking the US government by the throat.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Didar56
I disagree with your disagreement.

The "US Government" is not going to be "taught an expensive lesson" about anything. By hoping for such a boycott, you only hurt: 1) colleges and universities that rely on foreign students fees that help keep tuition lower and provide scholarship money for US students, 2) American workers employed in jobs that benefit from tourism -- hotels, restaurants, 3) the opportunity for foreign business investment in the US that again can help our current unemployment issues.

In my own city of San Francisco, the # 1 category of commerce is......tourism. So your advocated "boycott" will hurt our economy and put American people out of work. Perhaps from your little corner of the world, your disdain of the government blinds you to the bigger issues, but many foreign tourists that come to our county and have a wonderful experience, go home as more of a friend of the US. There is no substitute for that both as a boost to our economy, and as an improvement to foreign relations.
The American people should be calling for the hides of those in the US government who plan to make the US an even less-desirable place to visit with $10 added to disgusting, un-American harassment. Those who stand to be personally affected should be howling all the louder. These policies and this proposed $10 tax both just plain stink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.