Reload this Page >

Race travel plans as we come out of the pandemic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Race travel plans as we come out of the pandemic

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
PS: just to give a glimpse of some of the support involved, one of the organizers posted this pic to his Facebook page. And today is his birthday

dhuey and Finkface like this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know why I was so worried about Alcatraz and thought the Golden Gate Bridge swim would be a walk in the park. It certainly was not.

Our meet and start times were later, which meant a normal wake-up time for me, although I still woke up before my alarm. Another granola bar, shower, and I was out the door walking down to Hyde Pier for the check-in. I arrived before the organizers. Eventually they showed up, I got checked-in and marked, then we eventually walked down to Pier 39 to catch our boat (I wish the check-in was down there, it is closer to where I'm staying). More sea lions, then boarded. Evidently about 5 swimmers dropped out overnight, and a few added from yesterday.

Eventually we left the pier and headed over to the south (SF) side of Golden Gate. This is a longer trip and took a bit. The water got a little rough; I was afraid I might get seasick so I kept my eye on something on land. I kept my clothes on as long as I could...it was quite windy. Eventually we got to our drop point. I stripped down, put on my cap and goggles, and lined up to jump. Those ahead of me (at least 40-50) seemed to be making fast progress, which looked good. I got my watch set and jumped....

The water was noticeably colder than yesterday. I survived, but I definitely was less happy than for Alcatraz. The swimming was amazing for the first half to 3/4...again seemed to get pushed to the north, I had incredible views of the bridge to my right. I caught up and passed several packs and was feeling pretty good. I knew that eventually we'd cross under the bridge, but not to rush it. When I started to see the next tower get closer and closer I knew to make my way underneath. Not many others near me at that point, but I could see a few scattered yellow caps so I knew I was in the right place. Eventually I started to make my way under. I flipped over and did a little backstroke (it is supposed to be good luck to swim backstroke under bridges). It seemed to take a while to reach the other side, so I flipped back so I could get a better view. I swam freestyle again for a while, but seemed to go nowhere. I switched to breaststroke so I could sight a bit better, and then I realized I was basically swimming in place. I stuck with breast for a bit...I have a pretty strong kick, and definitely used it to pull myself out of essentially a swimming treadmill. I saw the boat ahead and to the right and made my way over to it. We had used 2 sets of stairs to exit, and I (wrongfully) assumed we could go up either of them, so I made my way to the one I jumped from. It was a struggle, but I somehow got myself up on the bottom step, only to have someone tell me, "you need to use the other stairs." So I got back in (more got pushed back in by the waves), and swam to the other stairs. There was a rope there, which was handy to help pull myself up. Once I floundered to the first step a guy was helping swimmers make the rest of the way up. Someone took my number and checked me off.

I made my way to my stuff, grabbed my beach towel and put it tight around me. I kind of just stood like that for a few minutes, until someone told me, "it is warmer inside," so I went in there, standing trying to warm up and dry off. Eventually my torso was dry enough (and my hands not shaking enough) that I was able to put on my t-shirt and sweatshirt, then wrapped the towel around my waist and dried my lower body. Others were coming in, and it seemed that all of us who swam skins kind of huddled together, teeth chattering, and comparing war stories. I finally put on my shorts, then dried off my feet and put on my socks (seemed to take forever) and running shoes. After that I kind of walked around, went upstairs to get some sun, and see other swimmers struggling to swim the last bit to the boat.

The trip back to Pier 39 was ok but long. I thought of calling an Uber, but ended up walking back to my Airbnb (took Stockton the whole way). As soon as I got back, I hopped in the shower and kind of just stood there for at least 10 minutes to thaw out. I just didn't feel like going out for breakfast today, so ate some cereal. Eventually I made my way to Chinatown for some Dim Sum, walked down to Market, and eventually felt like a normal person.

I did a second swim on Saturday after Alcatraz, at Aquatic Park (I did a daypass to South End Rowing Club, which is an experience in itself). I decided against that today, but I'll probably go to the Dolphin tomorrow morning before I head out (between Dolphin and SE they allow visitors every day, but it varies).

dhuey, SPN Lifer and Finkface like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've received an email for the 2023 Kyiv Marathon. In addition to the virtual course there will be a marathon run in Kyiv on Oct 1st. The race rules has some interesting language regarding air raid alerts:

In case of an air raid warning, the Race is stopped. The Race will be resumed once the air raid warning is lifted (but in any case, only during the daylight hours).

Taking into account that the Race is held during the period of martial law throughout the territory of Ukraine, in the event of the announcement of the signal "Air raid in the city of Kyiv," the event will be suspended, the program of the event and the schedule of starts will be changed, and all participants must strictly comply with the requirements of the representatives of the Organizing Committee, must leave the territory of the event and go to the shelters, which are appropriately marked on the route map. After the signal "All sirens clear in the city of Kyiv," representatives of the Organizing Committee will make a decision on the possibility of continuing the event on the spot. The decision of the Organizing Committee and the updated Program of the Event will be announced to the participants within 10 minutes of the signal "All sirens clear in the city of Kyiv."

Announcement of the signal "Air raid in the city of Kyiv" before the start of the Competition.

In this case, the event will be suspended, and changes will be made to the race program and the start schedule. All participants must strictly comply with the requirements of the representatives of the Organizing Committee. The participants must leave the territory of the event and go to the shelters, which are appropriately marked on the route map.

After the signal "All sirens clear in the city of Kyiv," representatives of the Organizing Committee will make a decision on the possibility of continuing the event on the spot.

The decision of the Organizing Committee and the updated Program of the Event will be announced to the participants within ____ minutes from the moment of the signal "All sirens clear in the city of Kyiv."
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
It look some serious negotiations with my wife to get her to live with me running the Beirut Marathon. I don't think I'd try with the Kyiv Marathon right now.
SPN Lifer and northinsouth like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:06 am

I'm surprised no one here has done the Enduroman (also called Arch to Arc):
* Run from Marble Arch, in London, to Dover
* Swim the English Channel
* Bike to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris

There's someone doing this right now!
https://enduroman.com/live-tracking

Appears that she should be landing on French soil soon...then just a bike ride to Paris

I'll be doing the Portland Bridge Swim on Sunday. I used to think I wanted to swim the English Channel and others...but I set a new goal for myself. Do an organized swim event, preferably 10km or longer, in every state. If I manage to do 3 or so a year I should hopefully finish. I still might do Manhattan sometime (at least there's city views for that one).
While I'm in Oregon, I'll also do the Applegate Lake 10k and mile swims the next week. I'm definitely not a sprinter, in any sport, but I have swum a pool mile (the 1500m long course) a few times, and did an open water mile a few years ago. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited by aztimm; Jul 7, 2023 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
It look some serious negotiations with my wife to get her to live with me running the Beirut Marathon. I don't think I'd try with the Kyiv Marathon right now.
Running the Kyiv event would definitely give me an incentive to push for a PR.

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm surprised no one here has done the Enduroman:
* Run from Marble Arch, in London, to Dover
* Swim the English Channel
* Bike to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris
I can barely do one event.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM

I can barely do one event.
Haha, I know. A friend of mine swam the English Channel 2 weeks ago. I was glued to her tracker as much as I could, hoping she'd make it to France. It took her 14 hours 45 min to do just the swim. I can't imagine doing that after running to Dover from London. And then still cycling from wherever you land (they generally aim for one point, but due to tides/current you could miss it) to Paris.

Another friend of mine is swimming Manhattan tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be looking at his tracker throughout the day, yet again.

My Portland swim isn't that sophisticated, no trackers or anything. We start at Sellwood Park and finish at Cathedral Park. Hoping for some current to help push me, and hopefully no tide pushing against me toward the end. I've been told that can happen.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.