Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Anyone have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Not sure which forum this goes in, but I'm sure someone has had issues with this before.

For the last month or so I've had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction issues, not sure of the cause yet, saw ENT think it might be TMJ or Adenoids. Sometimes have pressure, crackling noises when I move my jaw.

Bad idea to fly with this? Any tips on how long it takes to pass or what to do to improve the issue?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Probably best in "Travel Health" forum where there have been a few threads about similar things.

As far as flying, you really need to ask your ENT, as he will know more specifically what your problem is. Flying can be painful if you are unable to "clear" your ears, i.e., allow middle ear pressure to equalize with the ambient pressure. If you can't, your middle ear will be at sea level pressure, and the air in the airplane at ~8000ft. pressure, and it will hurt a lot. Very unpleasant, it happened to me in the past.

Using decongestants may help keep your tubes open when flying.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Health and Fitness Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
put a warm compress or hot water bottle over your ear--the warmth will help the eustachian tube open and releive the pressure--audiology trick
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:26 pm

I had a TATL flight last year with a sinus infection that blocked my eustachian tubes, and it was quite possibly the single most painful experience in my life. I was barely able to hear anything and all the pressure my head feel like it was about to explode. And the pain didn't even fully go away for a few days after landing - and that was only after going to my doctor and getting antibiotics.

I'll admit that the night of drinking and 4 hours of sleep before the early morning flight didn't help things, but I would wager that it would've hurt like hell without those exacerbating it. I don't want to find out.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by nlkm9
put a warm compress or hot water bottle over your ear--
Only available in F.

Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
I got this diagnosis a few months ago

Off and on over the past 18 months, I've had 'full ear' sensations about 5-6 times.

Went to urgent care the first 3-4 times (the incidents were months apart) and got mixed diagnoses of ear infection/nothing. This all seemed really strange as I had never had ear infection in my life. Finally the urgent care physician looked over all the notes as well as that she was seeing no signs of infection and reiterated that I was experiencing Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Notes in the charts had mentioned it previously as well, I just wasn't tuned in. She recommended using Sudafed until it clears, then discontinue use, using Sudafed again with any recurrence. She said I could go to an ENT and would probably get the same advice.

Mentioned it to my GP at my physical, he says it happens all the time to all kinds of people, not just air travelers. He gave me the same advice as the urgent care dr but said on days of travel to take Sudafed and Afrin to help keep the tube open.

It can't be cured (ear tube surgery is an option, though) - keeping the tubes open and dry is the key and can be difficult. May be related to some low-level allergy/irritant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.