Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever gone on vacation for exercise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat

My wife and I were thinking of doing the Camino de Santiago - the same walk the move "The Way" was based on.

We have a year off and she would love to do this. I thought it would be a good way to get me into better shape for ski season too!!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think Jailer & Mrs. Jailer did something like that in the UK or Ireland. Well, not a year, but a vacation for exercise - although I seem to recall some beer being included. Anyway, I know it was some long walk they trained for for a long time.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of our vacation time is spent on bike trips, running trips, hike trips......
Old May 10, 2013, 11:36 am

While I'm hardly a fitness buff, I do try to plan fairly active vacations, as it gives me an incentive to keep up with the gym workouts in between trips. Exercising is always easier if you're working toward a goal - and a wonderful trip is one heck of a motivator in my case!

It's important, of course, to not fall into the "weekend warrior" trap and sign up for more vacation than your body is going to be able to handle, but if you two have a year off you should have plenty of time to train up for the trip, so that shouldn't be an issue in your case.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:16 pm

Does walking 5 billion miles around Disneyworld in the heat and humidity of the Florida summer with 2 teenagers count?
Old May 10, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalVol
Does walking 5 billion miles around Disneyworld in the heat and humidity of the Florida summer with 2 teenagers count?
It does if you do the half marathon the next day

Oh wait that was our trip...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Last September I herniated two discs and could scarcely walk for a while and then was limited in how much, how far, how steep. Since I live in the mountains where the winters are somewhat cold and the land is often steep, many trips to the beach filled my winter. I was able to walk on flat ground and be outside way more than I could have had I stayed home. Once I was pretty healthy, I capped it with a trip to Hawaii for 3-4 weeks, where I could be really active.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from a mini vacation biking the mickleson trail. 114 mountain bike miles in three days, too much food, lots of gambling in deadwood and many late nights

good trip...I need to go back to work today so I can get some rest!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
I've done scuba diving, trail running and an adventure race in various countries, sometimes during an extension of a work trip (one saves a lot on airfares that way).

It's an excellent way to see more of the destination and do the sports I love, which where I live unfortunately can be quite limiting to pursue.

Of course the sporty parts are always followed up by pigging out and being a tourist.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by artemis
While I'm hardly a fitness buff, I do try to plan fairly active vacations, as it gives me an incentive to keep up with the gym workouts in between trips. Exercising is always easier if you're working toward a goal - and a wonderful trip is one heck of a motivator in my case!
This has been my new plan since September - lots of ideas, and I've been getting stronger and doing more vigorous exercises, but I'm still not sure how I'm going to reward myself next summer.

Sometimes, you don't really even have to travel very far, or spend a lot of money - parts of upstate New York here are quite scenic and beautiful, and just a daytrip away. But I'd like to do something where I actually use my passport, lol. Mulling over a few trips...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I've done three walking vacations; they are a great way to visit a country and combine tourism with exercise. I now try to do at least one such trip a year, for as long as I can (I'm 71; you never know when the hips or knees may go). Here's what I've done so far:

1) The last 70 miles of the Camino de Santiago
2) The 102 mile Cotswold Way in England
3) The 97 mile combine trail of the Peddars Way and Norfolk Coast Path, also in England.

All involved walking 10-18 miles a day. In Spain I stayed in "albergues" (hostels) and carried everything in my backpack. I loved the scenery, the little villages, the companionship of the other walkers; I didn't love sleeping in a room with twenty bunkbeds.

In England my friends and I stayed in small hotels and B&Bs with our suitcases transferred each day. There are several companies in England that can arrange "self-guided walking tours," with accommodations, baggage transfers, and all necessary maps and guidebooks. They set it up but you walk on your own. Great Britain has an extensive system of well marked walking trails.

PM me for further info.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:24 pm

I've done a number of 'active vacations' with my family. We've done a hiking trip in the alps and multi-sport trips in Maine, Yellowstone, and the Pacific Northwest. It's also a great way to meet other people in the group. I still talk to a couple I've met along the way.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got back from a vacation to HNL centered around the marathon. Based on the fact that 60% of the participants were from Japan, I'd wager I wasn't the only one on the island having a vacation centered around exercise!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
...snip.... I'm 71
...snip....
70 miles
...snip...
102 mile
..snip...
97 mile

Very impressive at any age. Wow! ^
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
We've done a hiking trip in the alps
This is pretty high on my to do list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.