Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Gym Business Idea - Feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Think of selling memberships to people who work in the terminal.
^
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I'd pay $20.

My main concern would be how crowded it would be. I wouldn't want to pay $20 just to have to wait for a machine in a time-constrained situation.

I also think 1200 sqft would be prohibitively small.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Check out

Miami International Airport Hotel
at Miami International Airport
P.O. Box 997510 Airport Terminal Concourse E
Miami, Florida 33299-7510
305-871-4100

They offer a pool, rooftop running / walking track, sauna, health club etc. It's one of the best places for a lengthy layover at the airport. Contacting them might reveal fees for services, etc. though I doubt they would proffer proprietary information about use, etc.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by jerry305
how do you placate members who've already paid a monthly fee?
And for this reason, you can't do memberships/monthly fees that guarantee access. The best the OP can do is offer a monthly fee that provides reduced rates.

As far as capacity problems, maybe adjust your rates on the fly, depending on the demand. And you'll likely have to limit time on the machines.

One thing to consider: Many people in a gym today have really no idea how bad they smell. I'm sure some of these same people will work out and get on a plane without showering.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
DFW as airports go would be good in the fact that all terminals are connected inside security and of course its a huge AA hub. I'd consider up to $25 assuming I had at least one hour to workout, excluding shower and changing time.

I would also recommend that the locker rooms be fully supplied with all personal items (shaving cream, razors, mouthwash, deodrant, etc.). Also, the equipment needs to be good and kept in very good condition.

Now whether the OP can make this a profitable business venture is a concern. While franchising with a chain gym would bring the people it may not bring the income versus an independent gym in which people would be paying per workout or some predetermined fee.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
That's my website talked about in that article and we were just talked about in USA Today as well.

For the OP, if you get an airport gym going, please reach out to me to list it. For others reading this, please reach out to us - via our website ideally - if you have any airport gyms listings we are missing or information you see is old and dated.

You can do that here: http://www.airportgyms.com/

Our website is free for everyone to use!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by AirportGyms
That's my website talked about in that article and we were just talked about in USA Today as well.

For the OP, if you get an airport gym going, please reach out to me to list it. For others reading this, please reach out to us - via our website ideally - if you have any airport gyms listings we are missing or information you see is old and dated.

You can do that here: http://www.airportgyms.com/

Our website is free for everyone to use!
So I took a quick peek for LAX and found this

I know where the Radisson is and its not in the airport?

California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles International Airport - LAX
Gym Name Radisson Hotel
Gym Location IN THE AIRPORT TERMINAL
Cost N/A
Hours N/A
Select Facilities N/A
Contact 6225 W. Century Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90045
310-670-9000
Notes N/A
MAP click to view a local mapCLICK to see a local map

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.