flying with a bad cold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying with a bad cold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There has indeed been some recent Scottish research that suggests it is indeed relatively easy to damage your liver through small overdoses, and that alcohol has a part to play in that. Having said that, paracetamol is safe when taken according to the directions given.
Yesterday's Telegraph regenerated a story they first published back in December 2011.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/89...lls-a-day.html
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
(I often re-read my post later and go "Oh for goodness' sake... how many words did I miss out of my post?!" and roll my eyes.)
+
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Take a decongestant containing pseudoephidrine such as Boots decongestant tablets and paracetamol too. Tablets take a long time to get into your system so take one an hour before take off, and then one an hour before landing so they have time to start working.
Also if you have sinus pain during decent use a nasal spray containing oxymetazaline such as otrivine as that usually works in seconds. Not a good idea to use it for more than a few days though as it can irritate the nasal passages and make things worse, fine for occasional use though.
It's never pleasant, but it's only a cold.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I am addicted to xylometazoline for >37 yrs so I can tell from experience that it will NOT help when you have sinus congestion. It only clears the nose. The problem during flight is with the sinuses not with a stuffed nose.

Last edited by henkybaby; Mar 11, 2012 at 6:36 am
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am on co-codamol at the moment. Because I am in pain.

I have noticed from blood tests that my liver is been damaged. The readings are the same as a very heavy drinker. I havent drank any wine etc since I first went on them. I am due to have another set of bloods in the next couple of weeks to see where it now is. i am only using the daily limits that the doctors tell me to.

So the stories are true about the damage they can do.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Nothing is truly safe, drink 5 pints of water in 2 minutes and you will die.

Xylometazaline works for me. It reduces the inflammation of the nasal membranes opening up the entrance to the sinuses so it should help
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by HAM76
Paracetamol is sold today in most countries as an OTC product because it was permitted decades ago. If paracetamol would be an unknown substance seeking permission, that would likely not be granted today, not as an OTC product, anyway.

Paracetamol is safe for the occasional use within the maximum daily dosage (4g/day, not more than 1g at a time).

However, combined with alcohol, or as recent studies have shown, exceeding the daily dose even slightly, paracetamol causes permanent liver damage. One study states 6g/day to be already dangerous which is only 50% over the recommended maximum dose.

There is an active discussion going on right now in the pharmaceutical community (started a few years back, actually) about how to deal with paracetamol. The current compromise in many countries is that that only lower doses and small packages are sold as OTC (such as 10-20 tabs/500mg).

Just because one can buy paracetamol like candy doesn't mean it's safe. But hey, each to their own.
Not a serious discussion, since the way to 'deal with paracetemol' is to formulate it with a small amount of methionine. But that would prevent it being called 'tylenol', and is hence blocked by the pharma lobby.

tb

PS I think you should say 'may cause liver damage' rather than will do so.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Nothing is truly safe, drink 5 pints of water in 2 minutes and you will die.
Really? What's the cause of death? Drowning?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Stupidity?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:30 am

Another vote for "ear planes".
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Originally Posted by Paralytic

I think this means acute hyponatraemia - but very tricky to achieve orally. I wouldn't advise trying though.

Come on, I'm sure the OP has a (viral) cold - not life-threatening pneumonia or true bacterial sinusitis (rare BTW). I'm sure they will be fine on a plane. What on earth do you think the crew do?

Rarely have I found a thread so amusing, but perhaps that is because I am medically qualified
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Well, I can only speak from personal experience* and I have never been in that much pain ever. But what is one real life experience vs a medical degree anyway?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=60597
http://health.savvy-cafe.com/the-pai...es-2007-09-27/

* albeit sinusitis, not a simple cold. I only found out it was sinusitis when my head felt like it was going to explode at 30000 ft though...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by HAM76
Actually, no. Paracetamol would never be permitted for sale in any European country would today's rules apply. It can cause serious damage with even a slight overdose and is poisonous in combination with alcohol.
Originally Posted by RB211
Sorry, but you are wrong, wrong and wrong!

Paracetamol is available over the counter in almost all countries of the world; acute overdoses are required for liver damage, and it is certainly not poisonous with alcohol (and I should know!)

rb211.
(My bolding)

But paracetamol is available due to older rules. Even with today's rules, Aspirin wouldn't have been approved, since it causes birth defect in mice.

As per combo of paracetamol & alcohol, the intake of maximum recommended daily dose (4 grams eqv 8 of 500mg tablets) together with alcohol increases risk of liver damage, which doesn't mean that all exposed will have problems.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:01 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by badoc

I think this means acute hyponatraemia - but very tricky to achieve orally. I wouldn't advise trying though.

Come on, I'm sure the OP has a (viral) cold - not life-threatening pneumonia or true bacterial sinusitis (rare BTW). I'm sure they will be fine on a plane. What on earth do you think the crew do?

Rarely have I found a thread so amusing, but perhaps that is because I am medically qualified
I would hope they stay at home but I know this isn't always the case and is probably more tricky on an inbound flight.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:54 pm

1. Actifed: I've found this more effective than Sudafed, Sinutab, etc lately, although Y(Meds)MV!
2. Olbas oil on a tissue, particularly when trying to sleep
3. Hot toddy: generous with the whisky, bring your own honey!

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.