Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping weight off when travelling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pooker
I eat more now, but have less fat due to body composition.
This, IMO, should be everyones goal.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by annerj
You need to rethink this.

While a 10 minute mile isn't "fast" by any stretch of the imagnation I see much slower out there. I see plenty of 12-14+ minute milers out there (just login to a big 5k web site and filter results based on time).

Excluding time to get into workout clothes, get to the treadmill, run, shower or change out I'm thinking 30 minutes for 3 miles is pretty is probably average (not slow not fast).

*I think its a great idea just the "slow" and 30 minute point doesn't sound right .
Agreed. There are lot of people doing 12-13 min/mile on the treadmill but even at that it increases the required time by another 10-15mins.

I think leaving the room and getting into the gym is the more difficult part for most people.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reverse order for anwsers

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I think leaving the room and getting into the gym is the more difficult part for most people.
I agree totally. Just showing up, just pusing play, just do it....getting there is always the hard part.

Agreed. There are lot of people doing 12-13 min/mile on the treadmill but even at that it increases the required time by another 10-15mins.
10-15 plus time to get there plus time to get out of there and we are getting pretty far away from this
this should not take more than 30 minutes out of your day
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:43 pm

10-15 plus time to get there plus time to get out of there and we are getting pretty far away from this
In that case, let's start adding time to change shoes, slipping in/out of workout clothes, post-workout shower... it adds up. I was just talking pure workout time. I was just trying to be encouraging. You can always climb on the treadmill for 13-14mins and be done with it. Ofcourse, results won't be the same but still better than nothing.

I like to bike on weekends (travel has ruined it for me but I still train). When going for a long ride... I have change in gear, load the bike in car, drive to trail, unload the bike, 3-4 hour ride and then redo all in order to go back home.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
You need to rethink this.

While a 10 minute mile isn't "fast" by any stretch of the imagnation I see much slower out there. I see plenty of 12-14+ minute milers out there (just login to a big 5k web site and filter results based on time).

Excluding time to get into workout clothes, get to the treadmill, run, shower or change out I'm thinking 30 minutes for 3 miles is pretty is probably average (not slow not fast).

*I think its a great idea just the "slow" and 30 minute point doesn't sound right .
Many people will walk a 5k as a lot of them are geared towards including everyone because of charity. My 63 year old grandma did a 5k, but I don't think she should be the standard on what the average person runs. The competitiveness doesn't come in for most people until you start looking at half marathons or above.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Many people will walk a 5k as a lot of them are geared towards including everyone because of charity. My 63 year old grandma did a 5k, but I don't think she should be the standard on what the average person runs. The competitiveness doesn't come in for most people until you start looking at half marathons or above.
I walked a 5K last summer, in part because it was very fun, even if you weren't going to run in it. I shouldn't be the standard either. I do think that for 5Ks open to both walkers and runners, they should have the walkers start after the runners.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In that case, let's start adding time to change shoes, slipping in/out of workout clothes, post-workout shower... it adds up. I was just talking pure workout time. I was just trying to be encouraging.
I'm just posting for accuracy I guess.....when saying something like ""this should not take more than 30 minutes out of your day" its pretty far off for "most" people.

I'm not sure how motivating it is to tell them 30 minutes for something that takes many longer.

You can always climb on the treadmill for 13-14mins and be done with it. Ofcourse, results won't be the same but still better than nothing.
I agree totally

I like to bike on weekends (travel has ruined it for me but I still train). When going for a long ride... I have change in gear, load the bike in car, drive to trail, unload the bike, 3-4 hour ride and then redo all in order to go back home.
yep. I also bike a bit (not my main thing but I did put in 2000 miles in a limited season last year)....my biggest complaint....its a HUGE time suck.

I probably wouldn't come in here and post that biking 35 miles "this should not take more than 90 minutes out of your day"
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure. But I'll stick by my 10 minute/mile isn't average. Lots of people out there running slower (or not running any)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:18 pm

I probably wouldn't come in here and post that biking 35 miles "this should not take more than 90 minutes out of your day"
Unless you are next to a paved trail and keeping a 25mph average

Btw, another good idea is to follow the "couch to 5k plan". So you don't start with 5K on treadmill on day 1. You start small and slow... and build your way to the point.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you are next to a paved trail and keeping a 25mph average
Few fast bikers in here (and a few fast runners too).....more than 1 can do a 30 in 90....just not going to post it like its the norm and not expect to be called out on it

Btw, another good idea is to follow the "couch to 5k plan". So you don't start with 5K on treadmill on day 1. You start small and slow... and build your way to the point.
Yeah I like a lot of the plans out there. The last marathon I did I trained entirely on the treadmill (for a few reasons).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My best half marathon was just under 2 hours but that was a while ago.....those were the days.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Sure. But I'll stick by my 10 minute/mile isn't average. Lots of people out there running slower (or not running any)
Pshhawwwwwwww
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Anyway, that was a nice diversion, now let's get back on topic !
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Anyway, that was a nice diversion, now let's get back on topic !

Diet and exercise.....intake and output. The only real answer
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All I need is a comfy pair of sneakers and my mp3 player. No gym needed, no trainer. Done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.