Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

How to boost the immune system during frequent travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to boost the immune system during frequent travel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
1) Good-quality multivitamin. I use whole food vitamins, but the point is to just make sure you get what you need, however that works for you.

2) Good sleep.

3) Safe drinking water habits.

4) Eat as well as you can. I don't mean a lot of food, necessarily, just eat quality food.

I don't buy the "boost your immune system" thing, but then I'm actually on an immunosuppressant because my immune system works too well....
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm finding that having a salad for supper, and hot green tea with the breakfast is helping the blood circulation pretty good..

5 years ago, you wouldn't catch me doing this..

plus I agree, lots of water, and a reduction on sugar is very important..
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:19 am

Vitamin D is the new C
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bsaced
Vitamin D is the new C
Especially up north here.. we are depreived of Vitamin D because of the lack of sunlight especially during winters.. Doctors recommend Vitamin D drops for adults..
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Especially up north here.. we are depreived of Vitamin D because of the lack of sunlight especially during winters.. Doctors recommend Vitamin D drops for adults..
I do take a Vit D pill most days.

It surprised me that I was low....I'm outside a LOT all year round.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by annerj
I do take a Vit D pill most days.

It surprised me that I was low....I'm outside a LOT all year round.
In Alberta, where I live, I hear that 97% of people are low.. but then again with all of the optimal vitamin and mineral requirements, I'm sure I'm low on many other facets..
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
In Alberta, where I live, I hear that 97% of people are low.. but then again with all of the optimal vitamin and mineral requirements, I'm sure I'm low on many other facets..

I was reading somewhere that they like to do a yearly B vit + D shot. I've been meaning to look into that.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Ughhh, so ironic that this thread popped up on my screen. ?. 3A seems to want to share his cold with the entire Fc cabin... I am hunched to the side as he coughs and sneezes - only covering his mouth about half the time.......

Wear a mask!!!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was at BAFTA Awards last night. Lot of handshaking, etc. Got to bed late, but did get 8 hours of sleep. But this aft my throat hurts, chest is a bit tight, head aches a bit. I'm hoping this is just a reaction to late night/loud noise. But of course this is the first trip I've forgotten my 'first-aid' kit I keep in my luggage - and the hotel doesn't have a gift shop w/ basic stuff. I think there's a gas station nearby that has some basic stuff. Might go there.

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by annerj
I was reading somewhere that they like to do a yearly B vit + D shot. I've been meaning to look into that.
That would be an improvement.. eventually an A-Zinc shot would be truly ideal. There is no possible way for myself to keep track exactly what my body intake on all required vitamins and minerals are..

Not sure how anyone can keep track frankly.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:02 am

Pure Ascorbic powder will help you out, but please experiment with it beforehand because too much makes you go to the bathroom, #2, a lot.
Also, Vitamin D3 helps.
I always carry neosporin or bacitracin and rub the inside of my nostrils before takeoff. Keep your hands clean, try to sleep, no alcohol or caffeine. Try to stay hydrated as much as possible.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: QF, HH
How about vitamin-C tablets? You can get nice-tasting chewable sort, and 2 a day may help to give your immune system a bit of a boost. I used to take them regularly as a kid. Perhaps now that I'm back at Uni, I should make them a habit again....
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I got a could in mah nose (ie, a head cold). Sound lek a frog. (: Other than OJ, water, I'm not doing much. Does anything actually shorten a cold timeframe??? I'm actually feeling better than yest w/ the chest, etc, hurting (gargling salt water for sore throat), but really am just at the 'eh' stuffy nose/runny etc phase. Don't feel like doing work or anything though, which kind of sucks given I'm in London & things to do. I'm hoping this is the worst it gets, given I'm coordinating the London Prez Weekend Do this weekend.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Catweazle
How about vitamin-C tablets? You can get nice-tasting chewable sort, and 2 a day may help to give your immune system a bit of a boost. I used to take them regularly as a kid. Perhaps now that I'm back at Uni, I should make them a habit again....
At Costco, and gummied up on vitamins on the kids since there was $3.50 cents off of Carz vitamins. My 6 year old wanted it for candy, so I said why not purchase a bottle? Then the next week, another brand goes on sale with similar discount, and now my kid has plenty of chews.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does anything actually shorten a cold timeframe???
Who knows but it seems like it I take Zicam when I start to feel bad sometimes I skip right over the cold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.