Filling and Flavorful Breakfasts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Filling and Flavorful Breakfasts

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I enjoy a Thomas Bagel Thin toasted with 1T of chive/onion cream cheese and 2 oz of smoked salmon. 216 calories.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Katja
Have you tried steel cut oats? Or baked oatmeal (kind of like a healthy oatmeal cookie)?
I have tried them all. The only way I can get cooked oatmeal down now is if I can pile on enough dried/fresh fruit to hide the taste.

I wasn't crazy about the taste to start with. Then I was on Aconcagua for 3 weeks. I wasn't the one who picked the food. Every single morning, breakfast was those little packets of oatmeal, green apple flavor. Now I really like green apples, but I think it's one of the worst artificial flavors. Double whammy.

When we woke for our summit push, our rations were pretty much exhausted. Breakfast was...stale fake-green-apple-flavored oatmeal or plain stale bread.

I took the bread.

That was New Year's 2000.

I've managed to get it down since on backpackiing trips (it is such a great start to a morning!), but barely.

Funny thing is, I can buy it and dump a tablespoon uncooked onto my yogurt, and that's ok. So are oatmeal cookies (too OK, actually!). And granola. Just not cooked.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by chollie

When we woke for our summit push, our rations were pretty much exhausted. Breakfast was...stale fake-green-apple-flavored oatmeal or plain stale bread.
Sounds like my brother's mountaineering stories about living on potato buds (or whatever that boxed dehydrated mashed potato stuff is called).

Funny thing is, I can buy it and dump a tablespoon uncooked onto my yogurt, and that's ok. So are oatmeal cookies (too OK, actually!). And granola. Just not cooked.
In that case I'd say thank goodness there are so many other thousands of foods in the world!
Old May 25, 2011, 8:44 am

I have tried them all. The only way I can get cooked oatmeal down now is if I can pile on enough dried/fresh fruit to hide the taste.

Sorry to snip, but I'm so in agreement (and funny enough, due to similar treatment on Kilimanjaro, though I'd already not been high on oatmeal) with this. I really wish I could find a way to like the stuff again, but any time it's breakfast these days (usually hiking, or because it's all I have in my travel bag), I usually find myself just skipping till lunch, instead.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by njx9
Sorry to snip, but I'm so in agreement (and funny enough, due to similar treatment on Kilimanjaro, though I'd already not been high on oatmeal) with this. I really wish I could find a way to like the stuff again, but any time it's breakfast these days (usually hiking, or because it's all I have in my travel bag), I usually find myself just skipping till lunch, instead.
I really wish it hadn't worked out that way. I wasn't crazy about it in the first place, but cooked oatmeal not only packs serious staying power, it has to be the most compact, easy to handle backpacking/hiking/climbing breakfast there is.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just curious - I'm assuming most of you aren't taking cut meal oatmeal (fill in the blank) when you're traveling. Since this is a travel & health fitness forum, what do you all do on the road?

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just curious - I'm assuming most of you aren't taking cut meal oatmeal (fill in the blank) when you're traveling. Since this is a travel & health fitness forum, what do you all do on the road?

Cheers.
Ziploc filled with however much I think I need. I do the same thing with granola, dried fruit, nuts.

If I'm traveling 'civilized' (camping), I can usually get yogurt. I 'customize' it with my own toppings.

I had one co-worker who did the same thing for conferences. She took ziplocs of oatmeal or small plastic containers of breakfast cereal to conferences. She could always count on being able to get hot water or milk.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
When i'm staying in limited device hotels (like Hampton Inns), I take Kashi cereals (pre-weighed into portions) and then supplement with skim milk and fruit or yogurt.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:21 pm

Cheers.
Hard-boiled eggs. I also have tropical trail mix which is really, really bad but very tasty and nutritious.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:35 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

Cheers.
Good question especially when many hotels offer elites free breakfasts that might include large buffets or menu items like eggs Benedict. I know I'm giving up a fair amount of the monetary value of a bene by sticking with oatmeal (usually the cheapest thing on the menu), but I do. I can most always find oatmeal on a hotel breakfast menu.
Old May 26, 2011, 6:15 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Good question especially when many hotels offer elites free breakfasts that might include large buffets or menu items like eggs Benedict. I know I'm giving up a fair amount of the monetary value of a bene by sticking with oatmeal (usually the cheapest thing on the menu), but I do. I can most always find oatmeal on a hotel breakfast menu.
If it's your standard continental breakfast, I stick with oatmeal and fruit, although, if I'm in a position where I'm going to skip lunch, I'll usually double my oatmeal portion and/or add some sort of cereal.

If it's a hot buffet, I'll try to limit portions of anything but fruit.

If it's an order from a menu situation, I'll ask if they can do egg whites or egg-beaters, and will go from there.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:30 am

Cheers.
I'm generally able to find a decent grocery store in most of the places I end up, but if nothing's coming up within say, a 5 mile walk of my hotel on google, I'll generally just pack a bunch of stuff. Granola bars, dried fruit, 'instant' oatmeal, etc.

Either way, most of the small towns I go to have a pretty good store, and most of the bigger cities tend to have some version of a whole foods, which makes things easy. I think NYC is generally where I have the most issue finding anything. Always seem to be 3 subway changes, or about 60 blocks away from anything but a Duane Reade.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I know I'm giving up a fair amount of the monetary value of a bene by sticking with oatmeal (usually the cheapest thing on the menu), but I do. I can most always find oatmeal on a hotel breakfast menu.
Ditto. Oatmeal and fruit, or (limited) eggs with yogurt (plain) and fruit.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the various ideas!

Cheers.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid

Cheers.
That is a good question.

At Embassy Suites I will go either an egg white or egg beater omlette (they all seem to have those choices, just ask) with most of the veggies offered and a pinch of bacon (adds a little flavor without a lot of calories). The other half of my plate I will fill with the cut fruit. Every once in a great while I will have a donot.

At Hampton's I will usually have a slice of wheat toast, a yogurt, and a banana. Sometimes I will have a hard boiled egg and one sausage patty. I had a waffle a few weeks ago and that was wholy satisfying in a it's been years kind of way.

Hotels are a little complicated for me since I am lactose intolerant. If a hotel were to provide lactose free milk, I would LOVE to have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal on chilly mornings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.