Training for travel exercise - climbing mountains

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Training for travel exercise - climbing mountains

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Too funny - I thought that bike fit meant you had to be fit/already riding a gazillion miles/day, not bike fit bike fit.

Saturday I rode my bike to the local fancy-schmancy bike store - aka, the one that sells Cannondales etc to have a basket put on the front of mine. That way I can use the bike to return/get books at the library, go to the farmers market, and the post office & save some gas $$, as well as just riding it in general.

The people were nice at the bike store, but they & their customers are very serious about biking stuff. I didn't have the fancy clothes or shoes, and have a 2nd-hand 21-speed bike (whose gears I don't really use), so I was pretty intimidated. Found out they have a biking 101 for women class they do, so if they do it next month I think I'm going to go.

It took a while for them to get the basket on because the bike I own does have some fancy stuff on it - or did. There's a spot for the computer & cables still are on for that etc. It was hot but not blistering, so I actually did ride the bike to the library, Hallmark, post office, resale shop, etc. The a/c felt good when I got back. My knees were sore though from all the peddling. I think I did about 10 miles.

Cheers.
That is great. I once bought a used road bike for $10. I loved beating people with $4000 bikes and $150 jerseys doing a century with a $10 bike and cut up t shirt. I would take it in to get it tuned up and the bike mechanic would look at me like "you must be joking". Tune ups cost more than the bike.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
There's lots of articles on this site. Here's a place to start:

http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance.../fine-tune-fit

Generally, the two most important parts of bike fit are seat height and seat position (forward/back). This is true for my grandpa's old single speed, balloon tire Schwinn and the bikes in the Tour de France.

Some bike shops charge quite a bit for a comprehensive bike fitting, but you can do quite a good job by trial and error.

I'd definitely suggest trying to raise your seat a bit. Start even with half an inch and see if it makes a difference. On your downstroke, the down leg should be pretty extended, just not locked out straight.
I just got back this morning from my bike fitting for my new road bike. The best thing anyone has ever done is put proper handle bars on my bike - stock came with 44cm but I measure a 39 across. I switched to 40cm bars and I can tell a world of difference. Thread hijack over!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the one
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadTime
Each year I try to find an “adventure” to help me get through the regular hum drum of work.

YES ^

I've done this for years. Marathon (back in the day), centurys on the bike....whatever. It helps me out a TON to have something hard that I'm working to vs just trying to workout with no goal.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Folks, even though I started the thread, unless bicycling is related to mountain climbing exercise, can we start a dif thread re: it? If someone's coming to this thread looking for help re: mountain climbing when traveling & biking doesn't help, the sidetrack isn't helpful & thus biking could be a dif thread. Just trying to keep the thread on track.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:32 am

Sorry, I agree SkiAdcock. I do like to hear about the difficulties (and solutions) to the climb.

Got anymore coming up? I'm still training but haven't been wearing the pack. Too hot in FL. Going to add it this weekend. Anybody worry much about altitude? I'm a flat-lander and haven't been higher than 13,000 ft more than a couple of times before. I think I might talk to my doctor about it.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:36 pm

On more of a serious note than my previous post, flying in to Europe and immediately heading off on any major climb or trek does imply a few risks. I am not suggesting this be done, but I have encountered a few traveller-victims of this over the years.

Being acclimatized here involves more than only altitude. Being well rested (and not jet lagged ), agreeable to the local water, food, and weather conditions are equally important. I understand and can sympathize with the " two-week " vacation timetable many allot for themselves to accomplish a good climb before returning to North America or elsewhere, but quite frankly the body here needs time to adjust.

We see this here annually even with very fit climbers from Italy, Austria, and even Germany. The film " Nordwand " although an extreme, is a good example how microclimes can differ dramtically by altitude,and change quickly in short period of time.

I think any trackwork, running or fast walking to build your endurance would benefit any climber, vacationer, or even air traveller, as it is at least a 10 hour flight to get to Europe. One singularly important item not mentioned in this thread is the use of a GUIDE.

These are licensed individuals who know the region, and the related hiking - climbing routes and degrees of difficulty. More importantly, by years of experience they can help you to achieve what you wish to do, with your safety and enjoyment in mind.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:50 pm

Depending on what it is I use guides, experience definitely has it's value. Hence me asking people on FT ^. Worse comes to worse I can bribe the guide to carry my pack .

I will be traveling right up to my climb and wonder if anyone has any experience traveling with their pack and weights for training? I'm thinking of buying water bags that I can fill up and empty. Probably cost a pretty penny. You know that 70lbs of water is about 8.75 gals? Dang I doubt that will fit in my pack.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
When I train with a pack, I get the best results from packing stuff I'm actually going to be packing on holiday.

I've tried the water thing, but I can't distribute the weight the same way I do my gear.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:29 am

deep body weight squats, slow sets of 20+.

need to go very deep, once you get the flexibility. need to go slow. need to increase intensity to get towards single leg (google pistol squats).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:38 pm

Just a small update:

The weather here has now turned to Fall, and in the higher elevations snow. We had a cold front that took most of the Alps to winter weather very fast. I was in Kastelruth, South Tirol, and the snow was considerable. The ski lifts are working !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.