Wiki Posts
Search

Training for travel exercise - climbing mountains

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Very beautiful! Thanks for posting!

Hope you're getting that knee looked at.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Very beautiful! Thanks for posting!

Hope you're getting that knee looked at.
Images are great (and were when up in the mountains).

About the knee. Nope, not until clients pay me. I have a $5K deductible.

Actually did a lot of bike riding (a few hours solid) last week when electricity was off for 52 hours & I rode around taking pics of all the damage. I was actually quite surprised how much biking hurt the knees! Who knew that walking would be better. I thought biking would be.

Pics here to t-storm damage:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16733102-post72.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Images are great (and were when up in the mountains).

About the knee. Nope, not until clients pay me. I have a $5K deductible.

Actually did a lot of bike riding (a few hours solid) last week when electricity was off for 52 hours & I rode around taking pics of all the damage. I was actually quite surprised how much biking hurt the knees! Who knew that walking would be better. I thought biking would be.

Pics here to t-storm damage:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16733102-post72.html

Cheers.
Bike fit makes a huge difference. After I had my knee 'scoped, I rehabbed on bikes (recumbent and real) for a long time.

That is some serious storm damage.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

When I tore my Achilles tendon years ago I found that swimming helped, so am thinking of going back to that. Shouldn't be too hard on the knees.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:13 pm

A suggested training outline for urban climbers in our Alps:

1. Start by conditioning your feet. Walk blindfolded through the local junkyard.

2. For added alpine weather effect, have someone also spray you with a water hose while walking through the junkyard.

3. Scree: Have your wife friends, or neighbors continually pour large stones onto you from your roof. Include a few bricks for realistic effect. ( Sans Helmet ! )

4. Rope/Belay safety: Using your best harness, have someone drag you around the yard, driveway, or neighborhood street. Repeatedly, and without warning.

5. Climbing: Select the highest building in your city and walk up all stairwells to the top and back. To gain the translatlantic jet-lag effect, do not sleep for a few days prior.

6. Repeat this again on the run, double-time.

7. Repeat this again now wearing a 45 Kg pack.

8. When your hospital convalescence is finished and you recover, return to step 1.

Good climbing and Bon Chance !
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:19 pm

Great climbing/hiking training regimen!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swissaire
A suggested training outline for urban climbers in our Alps:

1. Start by conditioning your feet. Walk blindfolded through the local junkyard.

2. For added alpine weather effect, have someone also spray you with a water hose while walking through the junkyard.

3. Scree: Have your wife friends, or neighbors continually pour large stones onto you from your roof. Include a few bricks for realistic effect. ( Sans Helmet ! )

4. Rope/Belay safety: Using your best harness, have someone drag you around the yard, driveway, or neighborhood street. Repeatedly, and without warning.

5. Climbing: Select the highest building in your city and walk up all stairwells to the top and back. To gain the translatlantic jet-lag effect, do not sleep for a few days prior.

6. Repeat this again on the run, double-time.

7. Repeat this again now wearing a 45 Kg pack.

8. When your hospital convalescence is finished and you recover, return to step 1.

Good climbing and Bon Chance !
I probably forgot one of those steps

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:41 pm

Awesome pics. I think I might have to add that to my places to travel in the future.

+1 on the bike for knee rehab. I think my knee is as good as it was in jr. high school now.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by BadTime
Awesome pics. I think I might have to add that to my places to travel in the future.

+1 on the bike for knee rehab. I think my knee is as good as it was in jr. high school now.
Bike fit is really important. I'm not sure, but I think knee problems on a bike can mean the seat is too low or positioned too far forward/back. A very small adjustment can make an incredible difference.

Swimming is great as an overall exercise, but it doesn't do much specifically for the knees.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:52 pm

Absolutely. I had my bike fitted. I was mildly surprised how involved it was.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Too funny - I thought that bike fit meant you had to be fit/already riding a gazillion miles/day, not bike fit bike fit.

Saturday I rode my bike to the local fancy-schmancy bike store - aka, the one that sells Cannondales etc to have a basket put on the front of mine. That way I can use the bike to return/get books at the library, go to the farmers market, and the post office & save some gas $$, as well as just riding it in general.

The people were nice at the bike store, but they & their customers are very serious about biking stuff. I didn't have the fancy clothes or shoes, and have a 2nd-hand 21-speed bike (whose gears I don't really use), so I was pretty intimidated. Found out they have a biking 101 for women class they do, so if they do it next month I think I'm going to go.

It took a while for them to get the basket on because the bike I own does have some fancy stuff on it - or did. There's a spot for the computer & cables still are on for that etc. It was hot but not blistering, so I actually did ride the bike to the library, Hallmark, post office, resale shop, etc. The a/c felt good when I got back. My knees were sore though from all the peddling. I think I did about 10 miles.

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:06 pm

Too funny - I thought that bike fit meant you had to be fit/already riding a gazillion miles/day, not bike fit bike fit.

Saturday I rode my bike to the local fancy-schmancy bike store - aka, the one that sells Cannondales etc to have a basket put on the front of mine. That way I can use the bike to return/get books at the library, go to the farmers market, and the post office & save some gas $$, as well as just riding it in general.

The people were nice at the bike store, but they & their customers are very serious about biking stuff. I didn't have the fancy clothes or shoes, and have a 2nd-hand 21-speed bike (whose gears I don't really use), so I was pretty intimidated. Found out they have a biking 101 for women class they do, so if they do it next month I think I'm going to go.

It took a while for them to get the basket on because the bike I own does have some fancy stuff on it - or did. There's a spot for the computer & cables still are on for that etc. It was hot but not blistering, so I actually did ride the bike to the library, Hallmark, post office, resale shop, etc. The a/c felt good when I got back. My knees were sore though from all the peddling. I think I did about 10 miles.

Cheers.
There's lots of articles on this site. Here's a place to start:

http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance.../fine-tune-fit

Generally, the two most important parts of bike fit are seat height and seat position (forward/back). This is true for my grandpa's old single speed, balloon tire Schwinn and the bikes in the Tour de France.

Some bike shops charge quite a bit for a comprehensive bike fitting, but you can do quite a good job by trial and error.

I'd definitely suggest trying to raise your seat a bit. Start even with half an inch and see if it makes a difference. On your downstroke, the down leg should be pretty extended, just not locked out straight.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:31 pm
hch

Isn't that what a big back-pack is for? Or do you want to carry so much that you need both?

Was that in the US? It always surprised me how serious people take biking over there. Here no one looks bad at you for riding a big downhill MTB or race bike in normal shorts and a t-shirt, nevermind everyone just riding through the city in normal clothes, for whatever defintion of "normal" the person likes.

And yeah, I own three bikes that I use regularly and still don't consider myself a religious biker. I even have a car that I use once in a while, although mostly just for riding out to the skiing spots.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by hch
Was that in the US? It always surprised me how serious people take biking over there. Here no one looks bad at you for riding a big downhill MTB or race bike in normal shorts and a t-shirt, nevermind everyone just riding through the city in normal clothes, for whatever defintion of "normal" the person likes.
Depends where you are, and things are definitely shifting (a good thing, IMHO).

For a while, the bike shops were really trending high-end technical, but at least where I live, more bike shops are paying attention to low-key urban, family and recreational cyclists. Not all shops - we have one that is dedicated solely to hard-core triathletes, for example, but they are around.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hch
Isn't that what a big back-pack is for? Or do you want to carry so much that you need both?
I don't own a backpack. The basket will be fine. It's also removable.

Originally Posted by chollie
Depends where you are, and things are definitely shifting (a good thing, IMHO).

For a while, the bike shops were really trending high-end technical, but at least where I live, more bike shops are paying attention to low-key urban, family and recreational cyclists. Not all shops - we have one that is dedicated solely to hard-core triathletes, for example, but they are around.
We've got the high-end one I went to & I just noticed one the other day that's more low-key urban, family cyclists. But if the high-end one does their biking for women 101 I'll probably attend that. I'm assuming if anyone else is there they're like me.

We're getting a bit afield from training for walking in the mountains though.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.