Search

Overseas elective surgery

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 1:07 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Overseas elective surgery

A coworker of mine asked me what I think about elective surgery in Asian country (since I've been working in PVG for the last few years). This is concerning quality, safety and cost.

I've never really paid attention or thought about it. But since she asked, I thought I'd solicit some comments.

I've heard from the popular press that S. Korea is the place to go, but it can get expensive. Next is Thailand but China is to be avoided. What do you think? Is this generally true?
Old May 6, 2011, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Someone else asked a similar question recently in this forum. There's either a thread in Omni (which you need 32 more posts to access) or in TravelBuzz. You might do a search there. Not knowing what type of elective surgery you're talking about, but if it's plastic surgery, I think South America does a lot. Not sure about Thailand, although I know some FTers have gone there for other stuff. And I think one FTer gets his dental work done in Hungary.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:44 am
jtn
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Someone else asked a similar question recently in this forum. There's either a thread in Omni (which you need 32 more posts to access) or in TravelBuzz. You might do a search there. Not knowing what type of elective surgery you're talking about, but if it's plastic surgery, I think South America does a lot. Not sure about Thailand, although I know some FTers have gone there for other stuff. And I think one FTer gets his dental work done in Hungary.

Cheers.
Thank you. I think she was inquiring about rhinoplasty. Didn't realize about OMNI, nice to know.

Thanks.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Travelbuzz might have the thread; you might want to check there.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Many people have posted about surgery and dental procedures in thailand. It has a huge tourist industry in medical/dental procedures. I think that one of the main places is http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailandhospital
Old May 12, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA
In 2006 I went to India for an acl reconstruction and rotator cuff shoulder surgery. Overall I was satisfied with the work done.

I also had some dental work done there but that was less satisfactory. I had researched the knee and shoulder surgeon well but the dental work was a spur of the moment decision. At that time, costs were probably 25% of US costs.

Apollo is the big hospital chain in India with a good reputation. During my research Apollo and Thailand's Bumrungrad were the large hospitals most often mentioned, though I ended up elsewhere. Just be sure and research everything as well as you can. It should be possible to get information from a westerner who's had work done at the hospitals you're looking at.

If your friend is looking for cosmetic surgery, surely there's a reliable online forum similar to kneeguru.co.uk or aboutcosmeticdentistry.com that has information from people who've actually had procedures performed. Just start searching and be discriminating. If India is being considered, indiamike.com might be a good place to start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.